Tcase rebuild wuestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.billetriflesystems.com
Hello Mud,

I'm rebuilding a 77 Fj40 tcase and I've got a few questions that I'm hoping y'all can help me with.

#1. The large piece of felt that came with the rebuild kit doesn't seem to fit as it's too big to fit comfortably in the shift housing above the o ring. Is this common? Do I need the felt and the o ring? The o ring went in without issue but there's no room for the felt!

#2. The shifter boot seems to only go into the groove on the shaft when it's engaged. Should the boot always ride in the grove?

#3. After I installed the speedo housing along with the speedo shaft and gear, I expected the shaft to spin when the output shaft is turned by hand. In my case it doesn't spin at all. Thoughts, ideas?

Any help is appreciated! Hoping to get a build thread up soon.

IMG_7945.JPG

IMG_7949.JPG

IMG_7950.JPG

OK, the felt should fit inside the housing if it's fitted carefully. It's TIGHT and I like to use a small dental pick (or similar) to get it just right. Yes, the O-ring should be used also.

The boot should also fit over the aluminum housing the and the shift shaft itself.

As for the speedo output, it turns very slowly so you may not notice it spinning if you only turn the shaft just a bit. Give the input shaft several turns at least and verify that the speedo output has moved. If it's still stationary, you need to pull the housing apart and verify that the speedometer gear is installed correctly.

What he said.

OK, the felt should fit inside the housing if it's fitted carefully. It's TIGHT and I like to use a small dental pick (or similar) to get it just right. Yes, the O-ring should be used also.

The boot should also fit over the aluminum housing the and the shift shaft itself.

As for the speedo output, it turns very slowly so you may not notice it spinning if you only turn the shaft just a bit. Give the input shaft several turns at least and verify that the speedo output has moved. If it's still stationary, you need to pull the housing apart and verify that the speedometer gear is installed correctly.

Thanks for the reply. Should the felt fit into a "groove" like the o ring did? When I try to install it into the housing it just bunches up and there's no way I'd be able to push the shaft through. Should I try to install the felt after the shaft?

If you do not have the parking brake drum installed to keep the speedo drive ring "seated" on the output shaft the drive ring may move/walk outward and you will not see the speedometer drive move. . . I think I noticed that when I was in the process of rebuilding mine.
Also, I agree with @Rock40 and @65swb45

Thank you for the input. When I checked the function, the parking brake drum wasn't on...

Thanks for the reply. Should the felt fit into a "groove" like the o ring did? When I try to install it into the housing it just bunches up and there's no way I'd be able to push the shaft through. Should I try to install the felt after the shaft?
You should only be able to install the felt with the shift shaft out of the housing. Once the felt is in, install the shaft. It may help to really coat the felt in some heavy grease (I like LUCAS stuff) because the grease may help the felt to lay in the groove a bit flatter. Lubricate the shift shaft liberally also. I've never had too much trouble getting the shift shaft in past the felt honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom