tall and skinny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks Great... Extreme, Thanks for the photo.

GM

LX_TREME, do they make those in 35's? :D

What wheels are you planning to put the 235/85s on? They are only spec'ed for 6" to 7". The non-USA models that come with this size use 6.5" steel wheels.

255/85s are listed as fitting on 8" wheels. I saw an 80 advertised on Ebay with this combination and the wheels looked wider than the sidewall bulge. Does anyone have a good picture of a 255/85 on an 8" wheel?

Mike

So stock wheels would be too wide to fit the 235/85s?

Here is the factory specs for my troopie, but the PO put 31X10.5x15 because it was easier to find in S.America
pb180017.jpg

THAT now is skinny!

Ductape

I think the old "covered wagon" wheels were wider than that!

lol!

the 235s would look great on the troopie I guess. Anybody have that setup on a 70 series? any pics? with a 2 in lift?

Ductape

Yea we need to see some stinkin pictures of 235s on 70 or 80 series. Somebody has done this.

GM

If you are worried about gas mileage, why did you get a landcruiser. I doubt skinny tires will have any noticable effect at all on the gas mileage. Unless of course you peg it a 105 during your very long hwy commute.

I wouldn't trade the adhision disadvantage with skinny tires on a 5000lb vehicle for a few tenths more miles per gallon. Maintaining proper vehicle dynamics is way more important... and could save you a hull ova lot more in the long run.

235/85-16's
tire02.jpg
tire09.jpg

more 235/85-16
kousuke_01.jpg
J78_haltiner_1_240.jpg

Hoser,

Thanks for the pics. What model is the white truck? How are the dynamics of the Cruisers with the skinny tires?

GM

Houston,

I would like to purchase a tire that will give me more ground clearance without spending $thousands for lifts, shock, springs, etc. Would like to keep the nice highway ride too. I would also like to have a more efficient tire than the 275/70/16. Yes I want my cake and eat it too. Why not? I don't profess to know everything, and that is why I come to this site, to ask more knowledgable people than myself. Am I concerned about gas mileage in my Cruiser? Well let's put it this way, if I can get more ground clearance, get better gas mileage, with good handling characterics, I have achieved my goal.

GM

Last edited:
Houston FZJ80 said:
If you are worried about gas mileage, why did you get a landcruiser. I doubt skinny tires will have any noticable effect at all on the gas mileage. Unless of course you peg it a 105 during your very long hwy commute.

I wouldn't trade the adhision disadvantage with skinny tires on a 5000lb vehicle for a few tenths more miles per gallon. Maintaining proper vehicle dynamics is way more important... and could save you a hull ova lot more in the long run.

Just because the gas mileage on an LC is bad doesn't mean you can't want to improve it a little. Also, you are assuming that wide tires automatically mean better 'vehicle dynamics'. I'd bet there is a good compromise to be found somewhere between 33" narrows and 33" wides that fit his needs, budget. and asthetic desires.

That being said, I personally like the tall/skinny look and on my Tacoma I opted for a 3" lift but with 31" fairly narrow tires because it fit my needs (mostly on-road and when off-road, only rarely on rocks). With that combo I got the looks I wanted, the performance off-road I wanted, and 19mpg.

But personally, I doubt seriously that I will go any more narrow on my LX than stock (275). That means to get 33" I'll have to go to 285s. :(

Houston FZJ80 said:
Wide is NOT always better. It really depends on the type of wheeling you are doing. Scott Brady has a pretty good write-up here: http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

Grouseman said:
Hoser,
Thanks for the pics. What model is the white truck? How are the dynamics of the Cruisers with the skinny tires?
GM
I'm no expert on international cruisers but I am guessing the white one is a 70 series.

Last edited:
Thanks for the support guys. Yes I am thinking out of the box, but so be it. Does that make me wrong, maybe not.

GM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom