Tailgate only partially opening... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Flame me for posting if you want, but I did a search (forum & FSM) before posting and mostly saw things about stuck/broken latches—mine is unlatching on both sides but not wanting to fully extend down. It'll unlatch and open about 1" but resists from there. Don't want to just muscle it down and break something, so any ideas? Have the folding tailgate arms on the side just rusted up from running a spare tire carrier and not opening the tailgate for apprx 8-9 months and just need some PB blaster (already applied )? Checked to be sure a rock didn't find its way between the tailgate and body of the truck and found nothing. Also applied PB blaster to the bottom hinges... Waiting to try again tomorrow but any other ideas in the meantime?

Have you tried to pull it open, hard? The hinges can get very stiff
with non-use and no lube for years.

Is there anything stuck between the lower inside edge of the tailgate
and the body? Try running your hand along the bottom and see if you feel anything.

If the latch lets go, then just bang it down hard. These tailgates probably can't be broken. I vaguely remember mine did this after purchase. Been fine ever since. Lube/grease up the hinges after it opens.

When I got mine from the PO, the tailgate would hang in the middle. I had to force it down to fully open. Lots of PB Blaster and standing there swinging it up and down. Also lubed and adjusted the latches.

Works like a dream now.

My hinges needed oil once when the tailgate wouldn't go down all the way. don't force it.

You can see the hinges if you look from under the truck nd behind the bumper. Something may have gotten stuck in there.

The stop arms (not sure what they're actually called, but two-piece metal thingies on either side of the tailgate that stop it at the "down" position) can get bent and prevent the tailgate from moving freely. I've had to bend them back to strait-ish a few times. I generally just whack them with a hammer.
Untitled.png

Thanks all! I bent one of the two-piece side hinges in the process, but a generous heaping of PB Blaster got the bottom hinges moving again. Note to self: take the spare tire carrier off once a month and move s*** around!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom