Tailgate Lock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The lock on my tailgate is no longer functioning. The power lock will not open it and even using the key from the outside of gate won't open it. I have to climb through the interior to get to the latch to open it. "Before I start tearing things apart"...any ideas what's happening and how to correct?

Holding out hope I just need to oil up the mechanisms (which will require a tear apart) but have no clue what's happening.

As always, thanks for all the input/wisdom.

Last edited:
Just get in there and check it out. It's not bad at all getting access to the lock. But if you really want to avoid opening her up than spray some kind of a teflon dry lube into the key hole. Also spray some on the key and slide it in and out of the lock a bunch of times.

Repeat this process 4 or 5 times, the idea here is to get lube worked down inside the lock mechanism and pins. After multiple repeats start trying to turn the key and see if the lock freed up. If this doesn't work, chances are a linkage or something is broke or disconnected.

When you say the key won't open it from the outside, is the key not turning, or does the key turn but it won't unlock. If the former, lubing may help. If the latter, time to pull the interior trim panel and check the linkage, especially the plastic connector(s). If you search you'll find threads with pictures that may help. Good luck.

Oh, and one other possibility if you can't turn the key is that you have an old copy that doesn't work well anymore. Look up ToyotaMatt to get a new key cut from the VIN. That solved my key problem on the tailgate.

Oh, and one other possibility if you can't turn the key is that you have an old copy that doesn't work well anymore. Look up ToyotaMatt to get a new key cut from the VIN. That solved my key problem on the tailgate.

Good point. My keys are all replacements and when I tried turning my main key in the tailgate lock it bent. I use a key fob to open all doors though, including the tailgate. Not sure if that was stock or was an aftermarket add-on though.

When you say the key won't open it from the outside, is the key not turning, or does the key turn but it won't unlock. If the former, lubing may help. If the latter, time to pull the interior trim panel and check the linkage, especially the plastic connector(s). If you search you'll find threads with pictures that may help. Good luck.
The key won't turn the mechanism so it starts to bend, I use a key fob though, just using the key to try to get the mechanism to move.

Lube it with the key like I stated above, I bet you can get it to loosen up.

Use a lube like this, I had a locksmith give me a can of this lube and I love it for things like locks, hinges, and latches. I usually get it on amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B086S8BVMS

Lube it with the key like I stated above, I bet you can get it to loosen up.

Use a lube like this, I had a locksmith give me a can of this lube and I love it for things like locks, hinges, and latches. I usually get it on amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B086S8BVMS
The link is broke, can I get the manufacturer and name of product?

Thanks

Update: unfortunately this problem is proving a lot more difficult than anticipated. Greased up everything hoping that would fix it, no go, so I took apart the tailgate paneling and the issue is the linkage that works the outside handle to open the top gate has a little to part that is either broke or the plastic is too hardened. *See pic

Spent about an hour and what's happening is when the top gate is slammed shut that plastic piece pops out of the linkage which disables the top gate from opening (safety failsafe).

Hoping Toyota still makes the part.

PXL_20210222_205847764.jpg

Update: unfortunately this problem is proving a lot more difficult than anticipated. Greased up everything hoping that would fix it, no go, so I took apart the tailgate paneling and the issue is the linkage that works the outside handle to open the top gate has a little to part that is either broke or the plastic is too hardened. *See pic

Spent about an hour and what's happening is when the top gate is slammed shut that plastic piece pops out of the linkage which disables the top gate from opening (safety failsafe).

Hoping Toyota still makes the part.

View attachment 2593249
Still available from toyota, as well as your local parts store in non-OEM quality

From Toyota as OE/OEM? Appears there's not a part number for it so just being the clip in for Toyota to match I assume?

Thanks

From Toyota as OE/OEM? Appears there's not a part number for it so just being the clip in for Toyota to match I assume?

Thanks
That should do. There was just a thread on here somewhere about someone printing some, or them being available. A quick search here might net you a part number.

Spent an hour on here trying to find the PN, no go. Looks like lots of options for non-oem (need trimming likely).

Looks like it's this. Maybe
If so I can put one the mail
@leoandgrauce

16140479844923199217806451468819.jpg

16140480466086396186019131279427.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom