Tail Lights-O/D Button-Fuel Gauge Gremlins Resolved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VFRMAN

SILVER Star
Threads
Rather than post in a bunch of threads I researched to figure out a few electrical gremlins, I thought I'd just post a new thread for anyone who has a similar problem.

After pulling my fish house last week I lost tail lights in both my 80 and the fish house. I chalked it up to being 4 in the a.m. and just blew a fuse or something since my fish house lights are still a little hookied together.

After checking the fuse later and it wasn't blown, I Put in new bulbs, no go. Then I assumed my trailer connection box took a dive. Unhooked that and redid it without the connector, but no go either.

What I didn't tie together right away was that my gas gauge had been acting up for a couple weeks randomly, my blinkers were randomly flashing fast, no overdrive lockout light on dash when I pushed the button, no door buzzer, and a couple other things I can't remember.

Anyway, I've already lost the thread where someone mentioned re-seating the big white connector in the drivers side kick panel. (photo attached), or I'd post it here for their credit.

Regardless, that was my culprit for everything as far as I can tell. I've been driving around with the kick panel open for a month or better while I was preparing to mount a Tekonsha brake controller. It must've been kicked by my foot, or just wiggled enough to lose a good connection. Once I snapped it back together nice and tight, my door buzzer immediately came on and the light went off in my head about the same time. Sure enough, I have a gas gauge, O/D lockout, and tail lights again.

It's the simple things.......:)
20170212_005005.jpg

Thanks for the reminder.

One other thing....I did swap the horn relay under the hood for the tail light relay in the drivers kick panel. I stole that trick from another thread where someone mentioned to try swapping them to see if that was the source of a tail light issue. It was when I was putting the tail light relay back in that I squeezed the molex connector back together tighter. At that point I was thinking it was the relay because the tail lights started working instantly. Expecting the horn to not work, imagine my surprise when both the tail lights AND my horn both function now.

Have you had this problem anymore since you tried this?
Having the same issue and seems Noone has figured it out yet.

So far so good, though I might be due to replace starter contacts again soon. Tach is skipping once in awhile and ignition is dead once in awhile where I have to turn the key about 20 times before it engages starter.

Tekonsha P3 brake controller. Still haven't hooked it up yet, but it's on "the list". Hopefully before ice fishing season and the fishhouse starts getting used again.

@VFRMAN Thank you for sharing is there a hole in the floor of the caravan? To drill a hole and fish from within the warm compartment?
How thick is the ice? And how cold does it get at night ?
Many years ago I saw a comedy movie about Ice Fishing but there they had wooden cabins with wood stoves and a chimney :)

@VFRMAN Thank you for sharing is there a hole in the floor of the caravan? I cut 9 holes into the floor to fish through. I also removed all of the water/waste ranks underneath to free up hole location options. To drill a hole and fish from within the warm compartment?
How thick is the ice? I wobt bring tge house out into the kake until there us at leadt 12-14" of good solid clear ice. And even then, I'm never the "first" one to go out. :)
And how cold does it get at night ? We've fished overnight when it was -25 F but it's really not much fun. Eveything is too co.oicated if it freezes up at that temp. And just plain dangerous if you run out of gas, or get stuck on the lake. If it was just me it wouldn't really bother me, but I always have kids with and mom wouldn't approve of them coming back with less fingers and toes than when they left.

Check out my "MN Ice Fishing" thread here on MUD. I think Ive got about 8 years of fishing so far.
Many years ago I saw a comedy movie about Ice Fishing but there they had wooden cabins with wood stoves and a chimney :)
Grumpy Old Men is a classic. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom