Synthetic Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Problem----( New motor break-in 2F)--- I have a buddy that switched to Mobil1 after a 500 mile motor settle in period. Now after a 750 mile run it consumed 3qts of the liquid gold.:mad: No leaks, pulled plugs and no evidence of oil present, tail pipe is sootie black but not jucie.So, where did it go?:confused: Was this swap to early in life? The Mobil 1 seller stated it would be fine and lots of users follow this course.;p So what would be in order here, confront engine supplier? Mobil1? run another test run of Mobil1? or try a run of dino juice?:idea:

Thanks, Fuzz

I would recommend... to establish a oil use pattern before changing to synthetic... to me a safe mileage area would be 9K or so....

I would think way too soon on the synthetic. Switch back to dino and put at least 3000 miles on it. New engines calling for synthetic ( Porsche) are manufactured to tighter tolerances and made with metals having different wear characteristics than rebuilt old engines. The 2F needs some time to wear in. If clearances were on the loose end on the rebuild, oil consumption could take a while to decrease. I had a friend with a rebuilt 454, that took almost 5000 miles before the oil level remained steady.

If you run synthetic too early in the engines life, it will not break in the rings and cylinder bores. I think 9000 miles is even too early. Switch back to regular ol oil and it should clear up.

I have run accross this before, in a long past job as an engine machinist (7 years). I can also say the seller of the oil (parts store?) most likely does not know that much about the product (spent 6 years as a part time parts monkey) other than what the salesman says.

Steve

Thanks for all the replies. So nOup, what do you think happened to the oil? It never smoked. Just seemed to vanish in to thin air:confused: Do you think any sort of flush is needed to help wash the M1 away?

What kind of rings were used in the rebuild? Certain aftermarket rings really need to break in quite a bit.

However, I used stock replacement rings. After a couple hundred miles I replaced my oil with Mobil 1. I've never had a problem burning oil, and I've been through about 5 oil changes now and less than 10,000 miles on my rebuild.

I'm actually about to change it AGAIN, and there's only 450 miles on this synthetic :mad: But that's not the oil's fault.

Anyways, you really just need to get to the point where it's not burning oil. Don't worry about flushing out the synthetic. I wouldn't wait 10k to do it, if a 2F hasn't had the rings break in by that point there's something wrong.

Synthetic oils do burn.. they just have a higher flash point.. residue is not noticeable in the basic flash area of the combustion chamber and the plug... I think if you pull a plug, rotate the piston to the top and look in w/ a flash lite you will notice a spot that is totally clean like the plug, then a area of grey surrounded black sooty deposits as you described in you tail pipe.....I would do a flush at this time.... drain oil, replace filter, refill w/a 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery and w20 oil....run at high idle for 20 min. but do not drive! Drain, replace filter, and refill w/ a good 40w oil...Do a dose of sea foam, follow the can instructions...refer back to the rebuilder break in guide lines and do as instructed.... Keep a eye on it and hope for the best, but there is a good chance the cyl. walls are glazed over and the rings will never seat.....

Last edited:
After I rebuilt my 2F, I ran 3000 miles on regular oil, and then switched over at the 1st oil change.

:crybaby: :mad: :crybaby: :mad: :frown::idea:

Well, after changing the oil and filter and a short run she started to smoke severely. So we proceeded with the flush as recommended,and all was good for a while till 20 miles out and BOOM! mosquito fogger effect set in. It was a mad dash to get out of the city before the Emissions Nazis took note. Anyway I guess this thing is screwed ,glued ,and tattooed.Circumstances are becoming very complex .. the plot thickens... the grass gets thicker.. the woods become more dense.. the water gets deeper..the mud turns to quick sand..there is a hint of bad JUJU in the air.. the natives are restless..my dogs are barking at something..all the insects and rodents have left the area..oxygen seems to be more scarce, it's getting hard to breathe..I blacked out and had a vision of owning a Honda Element for a momement:eek: ..Damn! I almost went over the edge there for a while, but I'm OK now . I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Ok I'm a 60 guy.Actually a IH Scout2 guy with a 60 for daily use, soon>I hope.Its still in the get my junk running phase.Any way a couple of weeks ago one of my good buddies and I (both helicopter mechanics) where discussing synthetic oils and where trying to think of reasons for something that we had heard visiting his grandparents cabin up in Minnesota while on cross country motorcycle /wakeboarding/fishing/hunting/boating trip.(That trip was way awesome even if I do say so myself and I do).Being single definitely has some benefits.Well his uncle shows up in an older s-10 pickup that looks like its in pretty good shape for spending it's life in the salt paved winter roads of the north,other than it's smoking like a freight train.Alex (my good buddy) asked his uncle what was going on with the truck and his uncle replied something to the effect of this"ran the truck for 113,000 miles with never any problems (i think that's about what the number was) and then decided to switch to synthetic.Started smoking switched back and never has stopped." Now we'd heard of seals going bad from synthetic creeping past worn seals on older engines that have been run with plain old dinosaur oil and making them leave lakes of oil wherever they park.But why all the smoke?Rings can't get screwed up from having slicker oil,right?Smoke what's the smoke from we asked each other?AH ha! he says.Valve guide seals.It got to be the valve guide seals.So later I was shooting the bull with my old man asking him about what he thought about our(Alex's) theory and he said he had an old car that the same thing had happened to and thought it was the only thing that made any sense.I remember that thing smoking and carrying on from when I was younger but never really knew why.Just thought it was an old clunker. So after all that blabbing I guess I was thinking, when you had the engine remanufactured (thats what you meant when you said new right?)was the shop a reputable shop and did they really do everything right?Like replace the valve guide seals or did they even rebuild the head.Could it be something like that?
Just a crazy idea.Good luck with your truck.

-Rob

So we proceeded with the flush as recommended . . .

Mosquito fogger is normal after a Sea Foam treatment. Have you changed oil and filter one more time since then?

Well, after changing the oil and filter and a short run she started to smoke severely. So we proceeded with the flush as recommended,and all was good for a while till 20 miles out and BOOM! mosquito fogger effect set in. It was a mad dash to get out of the city before the Emissions Nazis took note. Anyway I guess this thing is screwed ,glued ,and tattooed.Circumstances are becoming very complex .. the plot thickens... the grass gets thicker.. the woods become more dense.. the water gets deeper..the mud turns to quick sand..there is a hint of bad JUJU in the air.. the natives are restless..my dogs are barking at something..all the insects and rodents have left the area..oxygen seems to be more scarce, it's getting hard to breathe..I blacked out and had a vision of owning a Honda Element for a momement:eek: ..Damn! I almost went over the edge there for a while, but I'm OK now . I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Bon Ami........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom