Swivel Hub Leak Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well guess what, my front left knuckle is pissing grease oil and everything in between haha. How many hours did you get charged by a mechanic to do it? I'm seeing my options: 1 - ignore (even though it's really pissing and mixing with diff oil, not dropping on the ground tho) - 2 - do this myself at xmas which seems like not such a fun job to do and I dont have much time to do so or 3 - ask a mechanic to do it. Im hoping they could only quote 5 hours of work, or more?

Did you ever get yours fixed btw?
its not a difficult task, just messy. DIY and save yourself some $. Its a good way to get to know these trucks
 
Well guess what, my front left knuckle is pissing grease oil and everything in between haha. How many hours did you get charged by a mechanic to do it? I'm seeing my options: 1 - ignore (even though it's really pissing and mixing with diff oil, not dropping on the ground tho) - 2 - do this myself at xmas which seems like not such a fun job to do and I dont have much time to do so or 3 - ask a mechanic to do it. Im hoping they could only quote 5 hours of work, or more?

Did you ever get yours fixed btw?

Hey mate, yeah I did (well, time will tell if the leak has truly stopped). I got charged 5 hours labour.

Also needed new spindles as well. It's an expensive job.

Thankfully, the previous workshop that butchered the job ended up compensating me $1000 as a settlement as I had enough evidence to take them to the fair trading tribunal. The owner of the business after seeing the report from the new workshop acknowledged they failed the job. So at least I wasn't out of pocket twice.

I would have given it a go myself, but I don't have a space or garage to work on the truck at the moment—apartment living sucks.
 
Thanks for your reply, so I assume they quoted north of $1000 total then. Got quoted $1600 (AUD) a few weeks ago from a mechanic I know is good and fair, just can't justify paying that price. That includes front swivel hub AND wheel bearing rebuild. Looks pretty bad, but tbf it looked the exact same 60,000 km ago, and I have mixed feelings about getting into this as I have heard a few unsuccessful stories.
 
and yeah maybe I lied about it not hitting the ground, its definitely hitting the tyre haha.

IMG_2301.webp
 
thats one hell of a leak! make sure you clean the disc and pads or replace them as they do get misted and contaminated from that

as i said earlier, it aint too hard a job, just messy and a kit is only a couple of hundred

thanks I like this guy’s videos, Ill study the process.

Haha yeah if only this was the only thing leaking out of it. But I got that 80 for $8,000 AUD and all I had to do last 60,000 km was fluid changes and replace the radiator. I should probably give it some love with the extra money I have saved at purchase.
 
Thanks for your reply, so I assume they quoted north of $1000 total then. Got quoted $1600 (AUD) a few weeks ago from a mechanic I know is good and fair, just can't justify paying that price. That includes front swivel hub AND wheel bearing rebuild. Looks pretty bad, but tbf it looked the exact same 60,000 km ago, and I have mixed feelings about getting into this as I have heard a few unsuccessful stories.


$1600 for both sides is what most will charge. They hate doing it, because you need to clean out every last bit of grease, also they hate it when they come back because of a leak and they have to strip it down again, so they're going to charge to make it worth their while. I think you might just have to bite the bullet and get it done. Make sure they use genuine seals, even if they insist "they've never had a problem with aftermarket".
 
Last edited:
$1600 for both sides is what most will charge. They hate doing it, because you need to clean out every last bit of grease, also they had it when they come back because of a leak and they have to strip it down again, so they're going to charge to make it worth their while. I think you might just have to bite the bullet and get it done. Make sure they use genuine seals, even if they insist "they've never had a problem with aftermarket".
Thanks mate, what's crazy is that it's $1600 for one only haha, which I obviously won't pay. Very surprised as this mechanic is usually reliable. Also as you said it's mostly a cleaning job and I don't really think any mechanic would care and spend the amount of time cleaning properly, which highly increases the likelihood of a poorly done job.

I'm going to give it a crack I think. Crazy that it's been like this for years and it has not created any problem even after ignoring it for so long. It does not make a sound, it does not reduce my braking power and my front diff is working fine, Ive serviced the oil a few months ago. I used to look at it like an oil leak but yeah will get onto it sooner than later.
 
Thanks mate, what's crazy is that it's $1600 for one only haha, which I obviously won't pay. Very surprised as this mechanic is usually reliable. Also as you said it's mostly a cleaning job and I don't really think any mechanic would care and spend the amount of time cleaning properly, which highly increases the likelihood of a poorly done job.

I'm going to give it a crack I think. Crazy that it's been like this for years and it has not created any problem even after ignoring it for so long. It does not make a sound, it does not reduce my braking power and my front diff is working fine, Ive serviced the oil a few months ago. I used to look at it like an oil leak but yeah will get onto it sooner than later.

Just check there's no grooves on the shaft and chuck some new wheel bearings in. Pre load on the bearings is the only tricky bit. FSM has everything you need.
 
and yeah maybe I lied about it not hitting the ground, its definitely hitting the tyre haha.

View attachment 4218259
🤢

That smell though!!

Looks intimidating. It's not a hard job, just messy. Cleaning the slop and grime off all the parts is the most time consuming part. That and washing your hands for lunch!
A cheap parts cleaner would pay for itself for this job.
The actual mechanicking isn't hard
 
Back
Top Bottom