Switching Oil Viscosity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DIESEL ENGINES
Mobil Delvac 1
Fully synthetic diesel engine oil designed to provide outstanding wear protection and deposit control in American diesel engines.
Exceeds API CG-4/SH, SAE 5W-40
20 & 205 litre

Mobil Delvac HP
Premium diesel engine oil approved for use in all European and Japanese Super High Performance Diesel Engines.
API CF, SAE 15W-40
20 & 205 litre

Mobil Powerguard Delvac 1300 Super
Premium multigrade diesel engine oil designed to enable extended oil drain intervals in American diesel engines. Detroit Diesel 7SE 270 for series 40/50/60 engine, cummins signature engines.
API CH-4/SH, SAE 15W-40
5, 20 & 205 litre

Mobil Delvac MX
Premium multigrade diesel engine oil designed to provide enhanced protection for four cycle diesel engines. Particularly suitable for mixed fleets.
API CG-L/SH, SAE 15W-40
1, 5, 20 & 205 litre

Mobil Delvac 1300 Series
Superior medium ash, high performance monograde diesel engine oils formulated to satisfy the requirements of diesel and petrol engines.
API CF-4/SG, SAE IOW, 20, 30, 40 & 50
5, 20 & 205 litre

Mobil Delvac 1200D
Series Superior low ash, heavy duty monograde diesel engine oil, specifically formulated to meet the requirements of Detroit Diesel two-cycle engines.
Exceeds API CF-2, SAE 30, 40 & 50
5, 20 & 205 litre

http://www.statewideoil.com.au/agri.html

If I understand, Delvac is a type of Mobile 1?
Delvac is Primarily a Diesel Engine Oil, But some have the API rating for Petrol Engines.
Delvac 1 is Synthetic just as Mobil 1 is.

Mobil Delvac 1 is API SH and SAE 5W/40.

I use 20w50 in my 3FE and it is pretty much the only way to keep it from sounding COMPLETELY like a stanley steamer.

it still clickity clacks...but hey, I love it, and it loves me...

Georgia isn't exactly the most climatic area of the country though...

Question on Delvac for Cary

[quote author=lovetoski link=board=2;threadid=5122;start=msg40504#msg40504 date=1063341998]
Cary,

If I understand, Delvac is a type of Mobile 1? (I went to the "Delvac" page on Mobils' website - but I'm not a chemical engineer!).

In a higher milage cruiser engine, well maintained, but with higher oil consumption (1 qt per 300-500 miles, but strong compression) would Delvac be advised or not?

Thanks for your advice,

Doug Graham

[/quote]

I think the question about Delvac has been answered pretty well, it is designed for diesel engines but can be used in Gas Motors. Given your oil consumption you may want to consider trying it, it almost sounds like you have a buildup that is allowing blowby. The Delvac 1 with its extra additives may help clean this out.

What kind of milage does your engine have? Which engine? I ask because the consumption is high. Are your only driving around town? I would not normally suggest it, but you may want to consider trying Auto-rx. Check out bobistheoilguy.com under additives and read about the Auto-rx. Many people have reported significant drops in consumption. I am not a fan of running treatments, but you may be the perfect canidate.

Cary

In talking with my shop tech about what viscosity would be best, he felt that the Mobil 1 0W-40 would be to much for our warmer climate. We very seldom get lower than the high teens and it lasts only for a couple of days. Would there be a better recommendation in viscosity given my perticular circumstances or would the 0W 40 still be the way to go? He said that now all new Fords are coming from the factory with 5W 30 or 40 (can't remember which he said) and that is for all climates.

Which way should I go???

Hi Cary, Need your advice. My 95' FZJ80 has 72k miles and just switched to Amsoil 10W30 and SDF15 filter. My engine sounds like it has a mild knocking sound when driving and at startup. I read your previous threads on this subject regarding filter size and I want your opinon on my situation. Should I change weights and or switch oil brands? thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom