Switched Ignition Power Source (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just pulled the trigger on a dash mounted USB and 12v charge port with voltmeter and a fuse panel so I can clean up some of the underhood maze I have accumulated.

Where is a good place to tap for a switched ignition hot source for the relay for the fuse panel? Yes, I can probe my own circuits, but I figured I'd ask before coming up with my own solution.

Additionally, should I locate the fuse block in the engine compartment or run a power wire in the cab and (like 12ga?) to the fuse block and smaller wires to the accessories?

Thanks in advance! I has the electricity dum.......

IIRC, I used the power supply to the side-view mirror control switch at the dash to do what you are doing.

You can pick up the cig lighter behind the fuse panel to use as a trigger for the relay. I forget the color but if you drop the existing fuse panel you will see it. It was fairly easy to tap into.

IIRC, I used the power supply to the side-view mirror control switch at the dash to do what you are doing.
I was thinking about using a fuse tap with a hot lead. You think it would make a difference? Not putting any serious load on it, just enough to trigger a relay when the ignition is on..

Again, if I remember what I was trying to do correctly, I tapped the mirror switch power lead because it was hot only with IGN and ACC, and it was right there behind the dash. I ran it to a AM dash switch, then to a relay (and breaker) under the hood. The switch and relay control power to the rear, including power to a 7-pin trailer connector. You can probably use a fuse tap as you noted without issue (they are just not my cup of tea).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom