Surf N Turf, Nov 5-7 2004, Pismo Beach, CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is anyone from the Las Vegas area planning on going to Surf-n-Turf? I need a little help with a delivery from that neck of the desert. PM me if you're in that area and going and don't mind doing a complete stanger a favor.
Mike R.

Ok, newbie question - in needing to air down to 10-15psi for playing on the dunes, how convenient is their a facility/gas station (that isn't sick of providing free or otherwise air) to air back up if one does not have onboard air??? I only have a little emergency cig lighter type and it would probably take hours to inflate 4 285's to 35psi with it, providing it didn't crap out first.

Any other newbie tidbits of info for a first timer?????

Someone always has OBA, or CO2 just ask them. I have a CO2 that can probably air you up.

I'll have a compressor you can use. If you can't find me, you'll be able to find a gas station with air somewhere around town. I wouldn't worry about it.

Last year, I aired down last year when I hit the sand on Saturday morning and didn't air back up until late Sunday afternoon. Made several trips into town aired down, didn't go too far or too fast, so I didn't worry about it.

Doug's right.

I have CO2 but never use it at the beach. I just air up at the service stations.

The local gas stations are very used to people airing up. There can be a crowd at the hose on Sunday afternoon but a little patience works wonders. Remember this is SLO county so chill out and enjoy yourself. Also, if you go further from the beach it's less crowded.

Driving around town at low pressure is fine, everyone does it, just drive like an old man and air up before the freeway.

CO2 and OBA is good on the beach if you air down too far or blow a bead.

I can never stress this enough - AIR DOWN to 15 psi MAX. You (and your rig) will have much more fun on the sand. Yes, I can drive everywhere on the sand at street pressure but airing down is still worth it. You may not even need 4WD. Trust me, don't be shy, the side wall bulge is GOOD thing at the dunes.

You wouldn't believe how many people I see who pretend to "air down" but are afraid to go low enough. You got to get down enough to see the bulge.

Jim--
Still working on the wife to let me bring her and the kid down for the weekend. She is worried our 8 month old son will not do well with a 4 hours drive. I think "screw it, he won't remember it when he is older"! So save the shirt for me but if you don't see me by saturday night then feel free to offer it up. Talk to you later,
Dan

Dan,

Pull out the Toyota Trails article from last year. It has a picture of our youngest participant - 6 week old Gabriel Sutherland. Gabriel had so much fun she's coming back this year too. Bringing her mom, dad and big brother along from Santa Cruz.

When I was that age, my folks would toss me in the back seat with a six pack of beer and we'd travel all over the western US. :D

Your parents let you dring beer at that age!!!

At 6 weeks kids can live in a car seat cause all they do is sleep. 8 months is another story. I will pull out the trails and strategically place it on her night-stand. I may have to over-wrap it with a cosmo cover:D

listen to Jim, don't be afraid to air down! Besides the flotation, you get a comfy ride too. If you have bulge-envy and don't air down, don't worry. You only have 99 other Toyota owners there to laugh at you ;)

RE - air - thanks guys. Figured the service stations would be used to it, but may charge in this day and age.

Hey first trip to dunes and 4 wheeling, so lots of newbie questions, etc. LC was originally bought for skiing and kids!

Looking forward to this!

Brent,

This is my second trip to Pismo, was kinda hesitant at first but got used to it. Just use alot of common sense(safety related) and you should be okay.

That shouldn't be hard - I'm not much of a risk taker any more!

Don't worry guys, I have been driving my stock 60 on the dunes for four years and have yet to get stuck. But my little 2F has managed to help ALOT of people get unstuck. Like Jim said, air down to at least 15 and your fine. One time, I aired down and made it all the way to the back of the dunes, and all of the sudden got stuck, and I had the transfer in 4WD. Guess what, I forgot to turn the hubs and it took me a second to realize it. Pulled right now after that.

I picked up the shirts today. They look awesome!!!

I even managed to ship a few. The rest should go out tomorrow.

So even if you're missing Surf N Turf, at least you'll be able to wear your T-Shirt while we're playing on the beach. :flipoff2:

drohweder if its any consolation im bringing my 8wk old along with the 4 yrold and spouse < proly have to camp in back ,,,not many want to here the cry of a newborn at all hours of the night > i will be in the big artic cammo 55 , your more than welcome to join me if your wife needs a pal,,,,,

Hi Everyone,

I've been busy working on a few surprises.

I'll let one out of the bag now. It's just too hard keep this secret.
You may have noticed attendance at this year's event has soared. With
well over 100 cruisers and Toyota 4WD trucks expected I thought it
would be fun to get a group photo. What better way than to have an
aerial shot. So I have arranged an airplane and photographer to fly
over and take pictures
just prior to the High Noon Poker Run.

The plan is to spell out "T L C A" in cruisers on the beach. I have
designed a simple and efficient way to stage the rigs. It should be
painless and fun. Plus, I'm giving everyone that participates in the
photo shoot a free chance to win a very sweet set of ARB's new IPF 900
XS extreme performance driving lights.
The Aerial Photo Shoot will
happen at 11:00AM, just before the poker run on Saturday. I hope
everyone will be there.

The following schedule shows the planned activities on Saturday and
Sunday. As you can see, except for the Aerial Photo Shoot and Poker
Run this is "loosely organized" with lots of free time.

There will be plenty of guides and impromptu wheeling on the beach and
dunes. There will be lots more going on, this is only represents the
"scheduled" activities.

See you soon!
Jim

=========================================================
Surf N Turf ACTIVITY SCHEDULE

SATURDAY

11:00 AM
Aerial Photo Shoot – Free Raffle

Pick up a number at checkpoint near main camp. Save
your number! It’s your ticket for the FREE RAFFLE
Prize. Line up in order at second checkpoint. Follow
flagman directions for parking assignment.

Hold on to your number, the WINNING NUMBER will be
posted at the end of the POKER RUN.​

12:00 PM
HIGH NOON POKER RUN

The poker run will start immediately after the aerial
photo shoot. Follow in line as we drive to five
checkpoints in the back dunes.

Please air down tires (max 10-15 psi) BEFORE the run.​

2:30 PM
Finish the Poker Run

The WINNING NUMBER for the FREE RAFFLE PRIZE will be
posted at the last checkpoint.

The WINNING POKER HANDS will be posted in CAMP
immediately after the poker run. The HIGH and LOW
winners will split the pot!​

4:00 PM
Saturday Night Beach Bonfire

Join us for a Classic California Style Beach Party at
the main camp.​

SUNDAY

8:00AM
Big Falls and Garcia Ridge trails.

Both the Big Falls and Garcia Ridge trails are narrow,
one way in and one way out trails. Please break into
smaller groups before running these inland trails.
This will be done informally. These are not organized
runs.

Simply join up will a group of your choosing. Try to
leave early or expect traffic as you pass the early
groups exiting these narrow one-way in and out trails.

Both trails branch off the main road to Pozo.​

12:00 PM
Scenic Drive to Pozo

Pozo is about 30 miles from the beach, about half of
which is single lane dirt road. This is a fun and
scenic drive through lush canyons and steep mountains.
You'll climb from sea level over a 3,000 feet
elevation ridge.

Allow about two hours for a leisurely pace to Pozo.
From the beach, head East on Grand Avenue, cross over
HWY 101 and follow the signs to Lopez Lake. At Lopez
Lake take Pozo-Hi Mountain Road over the mountains to
Pozo.

From Pozo, it's a 25 minute drive back to HWY 101 via
the town of Santa Margarita (just North of San Luis
Obispo).​

1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Pozo Saloon Finale

All groups should finish the day at the historic Pozo
Saloon between 1:00 and 4:00 PM Sunday afternoon.
Enjoy good food and drinks at the large park like
setting behind the historic saloon. This is a family
atmosphere.​

This sounds just awesome Jim! Kudos to you for all your hard work!! Look forward to meeting you Sat.

Sorry for the hijack Jim:)

Anybody going to SNT want a Manik brush guard, and tail light covers for an FZJ80. I'll let you have them both for $150 OBO.

Last edited:
First of all, THANKS JIM! for putting in all the hard work to organize this.

Now, not to rain on the parade, but what about this rain we're having? Gonna be much of a problem up there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom