supplying power all night (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMAN said:
Which CPAP are you using exactly? Is it a Respironics Remstar(probably) or a GoodKnight 418? Does it help? and How long have you been on it? I've been thinking about getting in for a sleep study but haven't yet, I'me sure it would help though.
If you think that you might have apnea, do the sleep study. It's a sure-fire way to find out.

ever since I saw Pasquale's Honda generator at SnT, I've been dreaming of getting one. Is his that model? EU1000i?

BMAN said:
Which CPAP are you using exactly? Is it a Respironics Remstar(probably) or a GoodKnight 418? Does it help? and How long have you been on it? I've been thinking about getting in for a sleep study but haven't yet, I'me sure it would help though.

I'm using the Remstar, 99% sure. I'll go look later. It helps, but it's a pain in the butt. Definitely nixes the snoring and waking up issues. The downside (for me at least) is that my pressure is so high that i have to use the full face mask rather than the nasal canules (sp?) and the mask just sucks. Again though, it does help if your issues are snoring and waking up from asphyxiation. Give the sleep study a try to find out. Sleep study is a big, big pain in the but. They tape something like 30 sensors all over your face, and then tell you to sleep normally. Then they'll either wake you up to fit you with the cpap or you have to go back for another night. I've been on mine for 2 years now and have a love/hate relationship.

MrMoMo said:
I'm telling you, you don't need to wast your money on a generator, or a second battery or anything... IT DRAWS 8 WATTS !!! Thats Nothing! Buy the cheapest inverter you can get..... like this...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Nexx...23997/catOid/-13100/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Or type "inverter" on ebay and look for one with a cigarette lighter plug on it...
I didn't check out your sources or run the numbers but I belive you are correct. (I have some experiene with electricity.)
However I would not say a generator was a waste, if you have a medical device you depend on daily. As I mentioned in my erlier post even at home the power can go out. A dependable source of electricty would be a wise investment IMHO. The Honda may be overkill, Colman sells a unit for a lot less that would do the job. But you can depend on the Honda to start, every time.

MrMoMo said:
I'm telling you, you don't need to wast your money on a generator, or a second battery or anything... IT DRAWS 8 WATTS !!! Thats Nothing! Buy the cheapest inverter you can get..... like this...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Nexx...23997/catOid/-13100/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Or type "inverter" on ebay and look for one with a cigarette lighter plug on it...
Not disagreeing with you...but your solution essentially ties someone to a certain number of feet from their vehicle.

What if you don't sleep in your rig or you don't want an extension cord running from your cruiser to your tent?

never thought about it but the Honda generator would be a good emergency investment around the house too- for power outages

FirstToy said:
never thought about it but the Honda generator would be a good emergency investment around the house too- for power outages
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I'm currently considering the eu2000i or a bit of overkill with the way heavy eu3000i.

If you don't want to be tied to your vehicle, go to your nearest hardware/toy store and buy a 14.4V cordless tool battery - get one that is about 2000 Ah or more. Wire a 12V outlet to it and plug in your inverter. No generator noise, no huge battery to lug around - and you'll live through the night. Heck, buy 3 of them. - that way you have a backup and a backup backup. Trust me 8W is NOTHING!!

This guy took his cpap with him on a four-day rafting trip in the Grand Canyon and seemed to have a good handle on it. His machine was a dedicated 12V.

Cpap to the Grand Canyon

cpap-setup-dave02.jpg

NMuzj100, awesome, thanks for finding that!

Are you sure about the 8W draw? The cpaps I've seen draw at a minimum about 65W and up depending on features.

In any case, they do sell portable battery packs for these things, though they only go for a night and then require recharging. I'm guessing that yours draws significantly more than 8W, in which case even with a deep cycle battery you're going to have to recharge it if you go camping for a while. I think that's where the Honda generator comes in--they come with a battery charging attachment so you can hook it right up to your battery to recharge. I have the 2000i and it's great. You won't be able to run it off the generator overnight unless you plan to get up a couple of times--they only run for several hours on a tank of gas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom