Sunroof drain cleaning tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bloc

SILVER Star
Threads
I recently had to deal with two inches of water in one side of the floor board of my daily driver due to clogged sunroof drains. Fortunately it doesn’t have a harness on the floor like our 200s do, but the process of preventing the issue in the future got me hunting for equipment.

Everyone knows about the weed eater line trick, but in my daily at least the curved nature and sharp edge prevented it getting all the way through the drain nipples in the cowl, which was where the problem was. It seems mold and stuff had sealed up the drains.

Well…

15637FA5-2809-4E91-89C0-EB06B7A31F3E.jpeg

I just used it on my cruiser as PM. The drains worked fine.. I poured some water into the tray and it drained. Great. This also served to soften up any dirt and grime down in the hoses.

Then I ran the tool up and down a couple times, rinsing off the brush between swipes.

I put some more water into the tray and it was flowing out much faster, with a clear slurping sound because it was running out the hoses so quickly. A very noticeable difference.

I haven’t found a good way to get to the rear corner drains yet.. might investigate attacking them from the bottom end wherever they terminate as that’s where the gunk is likely to end up anyway.

If you know of a method for the rears please post up. In the meantime I hope this tool helps someone out.

5EE30BD8-A018-47DA-B038-77B41B497659.jpeg

Last edited:
I just got this 2pack, it’s not metric, but I’ll have one for a friend.

ICEYLI 2 Pack 60 Inch Long Pipe Cleaner Flexible Tube Cleaning Brush Fridge Cleaning Tool,Stainless Steel Kitchen Drain Tube Cleaning Brushes Sink Fridge Skinny Pipe Drain Dredge Cleaning Tool

https://a.co/d/5CoYLlz

Thanks, just ordered

If the problem is mold buildup I wonder if a periodic flush with some diluted bleach solution would prevent clogging issues.

If the problem is mold buildup I wonder if a periodic flush with some diluted bleach solution would prevent clogging issues.
I considered that but was worried about subsequent corrosion issues.

Ended up using some mold blocker solution (which admittedly may be just as bad) then following with lots of water. I’ll repeat that a couple times a year most likely

That's pretty slick, just added to my cart.

Miatas have a couple of drains behind the seats for the cavity where the roof is stored, and they frequently clog with crap that inevitably gets caught down there. Common fix is a "trombone brush" , run it in both ways. I tried mine on the sunroof drains and the bristles are too big.

That's pretty slick, just added to my cart.

Miatas have a couple of drains behind the seats for the cavity where the roof is stored, and they frequently clog with crap that inevitably gets caught down there. Common fix is a "trombone brush" , run it in both ways. I tried mine on the sunroof drains and the bristles are too big.
Yeah if the brush portion of this were any larger it wouldn’t work. I would measure it but most of the products I see don’t list a diameter anyway. I think if you stick with the products of the same concept it’ll work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom