Sun Roof won't close (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The final issue that made me abort my trip to the Jamboree was my stinking sun roof.
On the way to the event, I opened the sun roof around 65 mph. It got too windy so I closed it but noticed it was making tons of wind noise. It looked closed. The sun cover was all the way in close mode but I couldn't slide it open to look at the glass. I pulled over and realized the cover made it to the end but the glass had another 3-4" inches until it made it to the close position.

I messed with it for a while and decided just to head home with all the issues I had prior to take off.
So it seems the sun roof and visor isn't in sync. Have you guys experienced that?
If so, what did you do? Should I start removing the headliner?

By the way, I searched the forums but no luck.

Thanks!
Alex

Alex, Before you ever touch that head liner, you'll want to think twice about it. As old as these truck are, the head liners become very fragile, if i remember right, CDan said that a head line is now going for right around a 1000 bucks!!! As for your sun roof not closing, when you push the power button to close it, it closes in 2 stages, first it will stop about 3 inch's short of being closed all the way, (it's got a micro switch that stops it) then you have to push the button again to close it those last 3 inch's. As for the sun roofs, sun visor not opening, not sure what's going on there. But if your sun roof still doesn't close, look in your owners manual, it will tell you about a screw that's hidden under the sun roofs power switch cover. If you remove that cover, you can then manually turn that screw to close your sun roof.

Alex - I don't see your the year of your cruiser. For clarity - up to '94 (as is Rifleman's 80) the headliner was a real pain. From '95 - '98, they are considerably easier. Just need to make sure you don't let it crease when you drop it. I removed my '95 headliner and sunroof. Getting the sunroof back in required two people since it's so heavy. The headliner in a 95 is nothing - easy to do by yourself.

Alex - I don't see your the year of your cruiser. For clarity - up to '94 (as is Rifleman's 80) the headliner was a real pain. From '95 - '98, they are considerably easier. Just need to make sure you don't let it crease when you drop it. I removed my '95 headliner and sunroof. Getting the sunroof back in required two people since it's so heavy. The headliner in a 95 is nothing - easy to do by yourself.
I'll update my profile. It's a 95.
Have you ever heard of the cover and glass getting out of sync from each other? Like the shade jumped a spot.

I had issue opening mine and I realized that the corners on the rectangular cut outs on the tracks were bent upward, jamming the sunroof. Straightened it out and bam! Back in action! Hope that helps

I had issue opening mine and I realized that the corners on the rectangular cut outs on the tracks were bent upward, jamming the sunroof. Straightened it out and bam! Back in action! Hope that helps
Ok I'll check it out this week and post results.

I'll update my profile. It's a 95.
Have you ever heard of the cover and glass getting out of sync from each other? Like the shade jumped a spot.
Weird. No - never heard of that but if you do decide to drop the sunroof, you'll get access to the cover.

Alex, Before you ever touch that head liner, you'll want to think twice about it. As old as these truck are, the head liners become very fragile, if i remember right, CDan said that a head line is now going for right around a 1000 bucks!!! As for your sun roof not closing, when you push the power button to close it, it closes in 2 stages, first it will stop about 3 inch's short of being closed all the way, (it's got a micro switch that stops it) then you have to push the button again to close it those last 3 inch's. As for the sun roofs, sun visor not opening, not sure what's going on there. But if your sun roof still doesn't close, look in your owners manual, it will tell you about a screw that's hidden under the sun roofs power switch cover. If you remove that cover, you can then manually turn that screw to close your sun roof.

I get passed the first stop when closing. They both move to the close position until the visor cover reaches the end first and the sun roof can't move any further. The hidden screw won't turn either because I hit the stopper with the visor. But I'll start on it this weekend.

Carefully remove the trim pieces on the inside that cover the bolts that hold the glass to the track. I mean carefully. One of mine exploded to 1,000 pieces. Remove the nuts and the shims. Take note of shims. Look at it from above to see if there is a problem with the cables, or the carriers that attach to the cable. See the thread that Hornd quoted. Much easier than removing the head liner.

Carefully remove the trim pieces on the inside that cover the bolts that hold the glass to the track. I mean carefully. One of mine exploded to 1,000 pieces. Remove the nuts and the shims. Take note of shims. Look at it from above to see if there is a problem with the cables, or the carriers that attach to the cable. See the thread that Hornd quoted. Much easier than removing the head liner.

Oh you're saying in the open mode, from above, remove the small bolts and check out the mechanism. Yea I'll try that first.

Thanks!

Oh you're saying in the open mode, from above, remove the small bolts and check out the mechanism. Yea I'll try that first.

Thanks!
From the bottom inside, glass closed and open the cover.

From the bottom inside, glass closed and open the cover.
Oooh ok, yea that won't work for me.
Because the cover is out of sync with the glass, the cover hits the full closed position before the glass does. Therefore, I can't pull the cover back while the glass is still open.

Oooh ok, yea that won't work for me.
Because the cover is out of sync with the glass, the cover hits the full closed position before the glass does. Therefore, I can't pull the cover back while the glass is still open.
The motor works as expected, but the glass and cover are not in sync.

So when I open the glass, it retracts into body completely but the cover sticks out quite a bit. More than the normal cover handle position. I'll take pix when I get back to Houston.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom