Summer Trip Video Land Cruiser 200, Monument Valley, Grand Tetons, Ouray (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.usedpartswasher.com
Kreitens video motivated me to knock this out. Thanks Kreiten and daughter!!!

In June I left town with my niece, nephew, oldest son Jude and headed out West, we went to the Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Durango--Lake Havilland, Hiked the Elbert Creek Trail behind Purgatory Ski Resort, Silverton, Ouray, up through Grand Junction, over to Salt Lake City, through Idaho to Jackson Hole, up to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, over to Cody WY, Chief Joseph Hwy HWY296 over to Yellow Stone, back to Cody, over to Rapid City SD Mt. Rushmore, Wall Drug, and straight down through Nebraska and KS home. I met up with me wife, two little kids, mom, and my brother and his daughter in Cody. We tent camped most of the way. Got a hotel in Ouray, stayed at brothers in Salt Lake then rented the "Chief Joseph Cabin" north of Cody.

This video has a lot of cruiser and family shots.

Summer 2017 we are headed out west to Grand Canyon, Vegas, up to Lake Tahoe. The route back is to be determined.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

In June I left town with my niece, nephew, oldest son Jude and headed out West, we went to the Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Durango--Lake Havilland, Hiked the Elbert Creek Trail behind Purgatory Ski Resort, Silverton, Ouray, up through Grand Junction, over to Salt Lake City, through Idaho to Jackson Hole, up to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, over to Cody WY, Chief Joseph Hwy HWY296 over to Yellow Stone, back to Cody, over to Rapid City SD Mt. Rushmore, Wall Drug, and straight down through Nebraska and KS home. I met up with me wife, two little kids, mom, and my brother and his daughter in Cody. We tent camped most of the way. Got a hotel in Ouray, stayed at brothers in Salt Lake then rented the "Chief Joseph Cabin" north of Cody.

Summer 2017 we are headed out west to Grand Canyon, Vegas, up to Lake Tahoe. The route back is to be determined.

Enjoy!

Wow that is an awesome road trip, great slide show!

Enjoy!

You guys packed a TON of destinations into that trip!! Wow! My kind of travel! I love long road trips, and the Cruiser is the perfect vehicle for it. Nicely done!

Last edited:
Awesome. Hey what were your favorite camp spots along the way, any highlights? Always looking for "best of" type campsites/hidden gems and try and avoid the rest.

Cue corny rant...

You know what I love the Most? I didn't see kids with their nose buried in a phone. :) Last night, I went to dinner with my parents to a sea food place we grew up with...that's closing after 70 years on the San Diego harbor. A kid at the table near us...DIDN'T EVEN EAT HIS MEAL because he was so utterly buried in his phone. Meanwhile, he's got an ocean out the window...old sailing ships near by...and he missed it ALL--not to mention paying any attention to his family.

It literally makes me HAPPY when I see families doing what are my fondest of all memories--traveling with my family as a kid. Just no replacement for this often-lost treasure these days.

Yo kids! Look up! Look around! Engage! This is why I love seeing Ken's fam, Canyonero's fam...Cody,s fam, mreed's fam and others. Sadly, I don't have kids (can't) but it's an altogether good thing to see that one the great array of American assets are being enjoyed. It amazing how many folks grow up missing ALL of it.

Corny rant over. :hillbilly:

Full disclosure: I have to admit I spent way too much time on a device...but this forum shouldn't count against meh...

Last edited:
What an awesome road trip.

Cue corny rant...

You know what I love the Most? I didn't see kids with their nose buried in a phone. :) Last night, I went to dinner with my parents to a sea food place we grew up with...that's closing after 70 years on the San Diego harbor. A kid at the table near us...DIDN'T EVEN EAT HIS MEAL because he was so utterly buried in his phone. Meanwhile, he's got an ocean out the window...old sailing ships near by...and he missed it ALL--not to mention paying any attention to his family.

It literally makes me HAPPY when I see families doing what are my fondest of all memories--traveling with my family as a kid. Just no replacement for this often-lost treasure these days.

Yo kids! Look up! Look around! Engage! This is why I love seeing Ken's fam, Canyonero's fam...Cody,s fam, mreed's fam and others. Sadly, I don't have kids (can't) but it's an altogether good thing to see that one the great array of American assets are being enjoyed. It amazing how many folks grow up missing ALL of it.

Corny rant over. :hillbilly:

Full disclosure: I have to admit I spent way too much time on a device...but this forum shouldn't count against meh...

I like the rant Mark, they do spend a lot of time on electronics, but man we were blessed to make that trip. Most people will never get to do and see what we did on that adventure!

I like the rant Mark, they do spend a lot of time on electronics, but man we were blessed to make that trip. Most people will never get to do and see what we did on that adventure!

Ya- We're all a little addicted to tech...but at least it doesn't begin and end there. Kudos.

Awesome. Hey what were your favorite camp spots along the way, any highlights? Always looking for "best of" type campsites/hidden gems and try and avoid the rest.

Hi Mogwai,

We loved the Grand Canyon and wished we would've camped there. Our second favorite place was the Grand Teton's. We drove into Colter Bay without reservations and found a spot, this was the middle of June. Colter bay has everything you need for RV or tent camping. It's on a Bay and the views are spectacular.

Lake Havilland on HWY 550 can be reserved ahead of time and this is one of my favorites. If you can get a spot on the water great, as you have a spectacular view of sunrises hitting the cliffs. I particularly like this spot in the fall when the Aspens are changing, and mosquito's are not present. I have camped further up the road at Molas Lake, right before you reach Silverton. I do not like this area as the evolution is too high. Lake Havilland is just perfect.

Monument valley was cool, but I didn't like the fine sand. A storm kicked up the first night and we couldn't escape the dust. We stayed at Goulding's and if you are single there were lots of hot European chicks there!!!! Noticed lots of world travelers at this spot.

If I were to go back to Monument Valley I would stay at their hotel. To reiterate Grand Canyon, and Grand Teton's blew us away!

Enjoy!

EPIC

Fantastic trip! What lift and tire size are you running?

That's a similar trip to what I'm plannning this summer but my wife isn't so excited about camping. I'm having to ease her in gently. Ha

Last edited:

That's a similar trip to what I'm plannning this summer but my wife isn't so excited about camping. I'm having to ease her in gently. Ha

Haha good luck!!!

I'm running the OME 2722 Rear Coil-Medium 3/4" Lift, Nitrocharger Sport Shocks OME 61029, OME Nitrocharger 91005 Sport Struts, OME 2702 Front Coil Stock 2" Lift, SPC Adjustable Control Arms. Purchased from Slee-Off Road
275 70 18 BfGoodrich K0 2's.

If you can camp a couple nights with a hotel in between it's not too bad. Good luck with the Sale!

Thanks for sharing!

Haha good luck!!!

I'm running the OME 2722 Rear Coil-Medium 3/4" Lift, Nitrocharger Sport Shocks OME 61029, OME Nitrocharger 91005 Sport Struts, OME 2702 Front Coil Stock 2" Lift, SPC Adjustable Control Arms. Purchased from Slee-Off Road
275 70 18 BfGoodrich K0 2's.

Awesome trip! Tetons are one of my favorite areas.

What are your thoughts on the suspension upgrades you have? I am seriously considering a similar change from Slee. I only have 10K on my stock shocks. But some big road trips coming up and wondering if I'll appreciate the change on those mostly freeway trips.

I don't want to turn this in to another review on suspensions, so I'll PM you.

BTW, I did a one month road trip with a buddy back in 1976. I still have fond memories of that trip around the mid to northern US and some of western Canada. But it was in a little Mercury Capri 4 in the floor with 4 by 60 air conditioning and no Nav or cell phones though the rear seat was full of my buddy's HAM radio gear. He went on to become an astronaut. Road trips like this are good for the soul.

Last edited:

What are your thoughts on the suspension upgrades you have? I am seriously considering a similar change from Slee. I only have 10K on my stock shocks. But some big road trips coming up and wondering if I'll appreciate the change on those mostly freeway trips.

I was going to ask the same as I was debating between that setup and the tough dog system. I was concerned the OME shocks would be too firm for daily driving (as it's my wife's DD) and the tough dog foam cell shocks seem to have more of a factory feel (from what I'm told.)

Hi Dan,
Honestly on highway traveling the stock suspension is hard to beat. It is so comfortable, and achieves speeds a little bit quicker and steering feels more crisp and communicative. That being said, I wouldn't go back. I love the look, and the ride with the upgrade. The ride is more firm than stock but it's not harsh at all. I own a 1997 BMW m3 and that thing rides extremely harsh. Steering became slightly numb when I upgraded, but again, I would never go back. It made my Cruiser go from Mom to Bomb! hahaha lol

Hi Dan,
Honestly on highway traveling the stock suspension is hard to beat. It is so comfortable, and achieves speeds a little bit quicker and steering feels more crisp and communicative. That being said, I wouldn't go back. I love the look, and the ride with the upgrade. The ride is more firm than stock but it's not harsh at all. I own a 1997 BMW m3 and that thing rides extremely harsh. Steering became slightly numb when I upgraded, but again, I would never go back. It made my Cruiser go from Mom to Bomb! hahaha lol

Thanks. I PM'd you but this is what I expected to hear. I don't want BMW ride on a long road trip!

It is not BMW comparable, I would ask Slee if they have one set up with the OME lift that you can ride in when you visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom