Sufficient to unplug pre-rs3000 alarm to disable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a smokin' deal on a Viper alarm system with remote start on Amazon right before Thanksgiving. Had a shop install it. I guess I thought they would remove the old system, but low and behold it's still hooked up and the old FOB still works too.

Not wanting to complicate an alarm misstep, is it sufficient to just unplug the alarm box under the driver seat so it is effectively disabled?

Btw: This is on a '94 with the pre-rs3000 system and 1 button remote(s).

I know my 94 wouldn't start with the box unplugged. You need to remove the whole system. Search is your friend.

Got a smokin' deal on a Viper alarm system with remote start on Amazon right before Thanksgiving. Had a shop install it. I guess I thought they would remove the old system, but low and behold it's still hooked up and the old FOB still works too.

Not wanting to complicate an alarm misstep, is it sufficient to just unplug the alarm box under the driver seat so it is effectively disabled?

Btw: This is on a '94 with the pre-rs3000 system and 1 button remote(s).
I'd take the truck back to who installed it & ask them to remove it that way you're not liable for screwing up what they installed. I find it really odd they didn't remove the old system. I can't imagine what that abortion looks like!

I didn't exactly specify that the old system needed to be removed. I think that's my fault. I guess I just assumed they would so the 2 wouldn't interfere. I guess when the weather gets warmer, I'll take a crack at removing the old system.

I think you were correct in assuming it would be removed. Have you EVER heard of a vehicle having 2 alarms??? I bet you'll be alarmed :)rofl:) if you look @ the wiring job. It has to be all rigged up to have them both in line seeing as they both use almost all of the same wires. Their install will probably have to be removed in order to remove the prior alarm.:bang:

The reason you normally can't just unplug the Toyota alarm box is the starter kill function. Depending upon how the new unit was installed the starter kill may have been wired in parallel which would allow you to just unplug the old alarm box. It is worth trying to see what happens. I personally would not want to have two alarm systems functioning at the same time.

You got hosed.

My buddy did my 450 with the RS3000 & pulled it, even used diodes to keep each door & dome light bound just to each door/zone - not the common method tons of hack shops use.

They tie all the lights together, so 1 door open means all the door lights come on. 1 big 'dumb loop' instead of doing it right as zones.

DEI (Clifford & Viper parent company) -- has all the install manuals on the internet for the authorized install shops, if you got a sub-par install then the employee was shaving time off your install or participates in 'legal weed' (or both).

Take it back with a written outline/punch-list of what you expect. Have them sign off on it so there's no miscommunication.

Also, starter interrupts are problematic at best, if you have 2 alarms wired to that, Lord help you down the line.

As a simple noisemaker, they're simple & reliable (I have the 2way Clifford w/ remote start in my current 80) - but starter kill is dumb/overkill & hack shops who kill your wire harness & are too dumb/cheap to spring for 5 diodes are a ripoff.

And never take a valued vehicle to Best Buy or Car Toys & expect high level work, those guy make minimum wage.

Last edited:
I'll try giving the shop a call and see what they will do to rectify the stock alarm situation. To give the guy credit, it was a local shop just down the street from me. I inspected his wiring after the work was complete. He did a pretty clean job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom