Stutter problem - flashing check engine light - no codes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trukdiver

GOLD Star
Threads
I got the stutter problem even though truck has been running very well. The engine was suddenly running super rough and when I would hit the gas, the check engine would flash rapidly and I had no power. With the foot off the gas, the check engine light would not flash and stayed off. I checked for codes and there are none.

So, now what? I've read that the flashing light is a "pull over immediately" situation to avoid damage to the cat. Should I drive it until a code registers?

1999 - 239K miles. I've had it since 235K and don't know everything about the history.

What OBD code reader are you using? If light has illuminated there should be at least a pending OBD trouble code stored. Or maybe try driving with the OBD scanner attached

Issue needs to be present continuously three times for CEL to stay on. If each time you let off gas peddle system reads ok, light goes out.

As @TXLX100 said; leave the scanner attached. In some older model scanner has troubling finding the vehicle. Run live date to see that you're reading current info. Without turning IG key off, get issues to accrue three times. Then run scan again.

Had this exact same problem two weeks ago - was the #4 coil pack. Swapped that out along with all 8 plugs and all is well.

Interesting - i got the same flashing CEL, clear on long coastdown, stuttering, no power. My generic OBD reader did not show a code, but my Techstream immediately showed P0304 cylinder 4 misfire.

I keep a generic reader in my car to help me and others, odd it did not show a common code like P0304.

What OBD code reader are you using? If light has illuminated there should be at least a pending OBD trouble code stored. Or maybe try driving with the OBD scanner attached
I have a foxwell. There are no pending codes. I'll follow the advice below and drive it with it attached. This definitely a first for me. I drove my 2004 over 200K miles and never had anything like this.

If you are lucky, Denso coils are in stock at Advance Auto Parts, and you can use a 20-30% coupon code and get them for around 60 bucks if you need one right now.

My truck had a mismatch of Denso, Delphi, and OEM coils on it.

If you are lucky, Denso coils are in stock at Advance Auto Parts, and you can use a 20-30% coupon code and get them for around 60 bucks if you need one right now.

My truck had a mismatch of Denso, Delphi, and OEM coils on it.

I'll check. I know my local one was out, but there are others in NJ. I also have a $20 coupon with them, so its definitely the way to go!

My son drove. I monitored. Looks like cylindar #1 is the culprit. Thanks for the replies and for the tip about the sale!

I thought number of CEL flashes corresponded somehow to cylinder that is giving the problem? Is that true in the LC world?

Usually flashing CEL means potential catalyst damage and you should drive your car to a safe place, shut it down, and not drive it till it is resolved.

Personally I'd only use Denso. I'd jump on this sale. 673-1303 | JEGS Try promo code SAVENOW, you may get even more off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom