Stupid Question: Land Cruiser or Land Rover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wasn't there but looking at it from here, seems like this would pose no big problem with an 80 with CD only locked

bigbrowndog said:
4_SASR_Afgh.jpg

No cruisers here, sas troopers with landrovers... :cheers:[/QUOTE]

I'm not taking much stock in these pics. All military units have a responsibility to support their local Mfr's if available. SAS will use LR's, USA will use Hummers, and the Japanese will use Toyota's, Mitsubishi's, etc. such as LC's for personnel/diplimat carriers, the Megacruisers for a little heavier duty stuff all the way up to fully armoured personnel carriers such as this one that was deployed in Iraq. FYI, two diplomats were gunned down in a LC that was riddled with bullits.

My $0.02
[ATTACH=full]29254[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]29256[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]29257[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ground1[1].jpg
    ground1[1].jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 477
  • nn20040406a2a[1].jpg
    nn20040406a2a[1].jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 464
  • 93ssam[1].jpg
    93ssam[1].jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 596
Rookie2 said:
Are any of the cruiser in this hill climbing video running it unlocked? Would an unlocked 80 make that, or have a similar fate is the Disco?

:beer:
Rookie2
I was there.

I signed up on the discoweb board, but can't post until I confirm -- I'm planning on setting the record straight there regarding the specifics of the video.

Mine's the 2nd rig after the Disco.

The hill looked extremely steep from the bottom and it wasn't clear if it was passable at the top -- there was a boulder that looked as if it was blocking the exit at the topo. Most of our group bypassed.

The Discovery was a model without a center diff lock -- no center diff lock, no lockers.

He proceeded up the hill and didn't stop (to pose or anything similar) until he got stuck. He got stuck at that spot because the his tires spun. Due to the fact that he was loaded with gear -- very top and rear heavy, we were concerned that he would tip backwards.

I went up in low range WITHOUT front/rears locked -- no problem at all.

wileetoyote said:
I'm not taking much stock in these pics. All military units have a responsibility to support their local Mfr's if available. SAS will use LR's, USA will use Hummers, and the Japanese will use Toyota's, Mitsubishi's, etc. such as LC's for personnel/diplimat carriers, the Megacruisers for a little heavier duty stuff all the way up to fully armoured personnel carriers such as this one that was deployed in Iraq. FYI, two diplomats were gunned down in a LC that was riddled with bullits.

My $0.02
The Oz Army use mainly Toyota landcruisers and landrover 110s for light 4wd.. The S.A.S. only use the 6 wheel landrovers exclusively.Not inferring anything. cheers.

Becky,

I was trying to decide between RR or Cruiser. I researched for approx 6 months before deciding Cruiser. The RR and Discovery are good looking trucks to be sure. But I was concerned about reliability and maintenance issues. ONE DAY I GOT THE BRIGHT IDEA TO CALL A RANGE ROVER DEALER AND ASK TO SPEAK TO SERVICE DEPT. When the guy got on the phone I asked him what were the best years for the Discovery because that was the truck I was looking strongly at. He told me the years to look at for various reasons. He said these trucks are really reliable. THEN I ASKED HIM ARE THEY AS RELIABLE AS A TOYOTA. " HIS QUOTE WAS NOTHING IS AS RELIABLE AS A TOYOTA. THAT DID IT FOR ME... This came from a guy who worked at Land Rover.

I have a 1988 Defender 130 and a 1994 Discovery. I suppose I am in the minority because I have not had any problems so far with either. The Disco has 170k on it with no probs except a leaking power steering hose and the Defender 130 has 180k on it with no problems so far. I have had the Disco since new. Previous to this I had a 1989 Toyota 4rnner with 220k miles ans still on the same clutch. Hands down the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I wish I still had it. I use and abuse my Rovers and they like it. Lots of trips into the Sierras and the Mojave and never a problem. I dont do serious rock crawling but do thousands of miles of off road driving a year and have yet to be let down. I cannot disagree with the fact that Yotas are more reliable, they are. I love Rovers just like most of you love you cruisers. I had a 1988 Range Rover that went everwhere my buddies FJ went . I had a 1969 Series Land rover that went everwhere my buddies FJ went. Is Rover better? No. Is Toyota better? Probably. I wouldnt touch a 1995-2002 Range Rover with a 10 foot pole and niether would most Land Rover owners, they suck. It's all what you are into. Buy a Toyota if you want reliability. But there is no way I am getting rid of my 130 for any Toyota ;)

Kellymoe,

First off nice looking rig. Question? How come your over here on this board with the Cruiserheads? :) Looking for that 4-Runner?
I've got one with 325K and I am not selling her.

Grouseman

Grouseman said:
Kellymoe,

First off nice looking rig. Question? How come your over here on this board with the Cruiserheads? :) Looking for that 4-Runner?
I've got one with 325K and I am not selling her.

Grouseman

I have alot of friends that drive FJ40's and 80's. I like reading the trip reports and wheeling is wheeling no matter what your driving unless it's a Jeep :D

kellymoe said:
I have alot of friends that drive FJ40's and 80's. I like reading the trip reports and wheeling is wheeling no matter what your driving unless it's a Jeep :D

DING....We have a winner.

BTW, LOVE the 130. I want it. :crybaby:

I was the first white 1992 FJ80 in the video behind the Land Rover in Death Valley. I do not have lockers and was not in low range either. The only modifications I have are 33 inch BFG All Terrains. We were behind that Land Rover during most of the trip. We constantly had to wait for him to make it over the most easy obstacles. And since then we have added our 4th Land Cruiser - a 1997 FZJ80 with factory lockers. (also have a 73 FJ40 stock - original 50,000 miles, 74 FJ40 SOA locked with 36 IROKs -Rubicon tested at Rubithon & the 92 FJ80 stock in the video) By the way we are now selling our 92 FJ80 that is Death Valley & McGrew tested. We just don't need 2 80's. If you're interested since you can see what it can do in 4 HI unlocked - drop us a line. :D

I agree with most of the statements made here. The LR (if we're talking about a used Discovery) is a great offroad vehicle, but it's a mechanical disaster waiting to happen. It's much better if you're a DIY guy, otherwise the dealerships will take you to the cleaner. Go to Discoweb.org and amaze yourself with the tales of "spent 6 grand and now my engine is running okay." there's a reason why LRs depreciate so quickly. It's because they are (beautiful) pieces of junk.

Now here's the little secret that LR people don't want you to know: The Discovery engine that was used up until last year was based off a desgin that Buick sold in the 1960s. So technically, you can drop a small block chevy in its place when the LR engine starts giving you trouble. It takes a little tinkering with the transmission, but people do it regularly. The only problem is that you need to bring your own ecu to the party and beef up the suspension (the LR engines are aluminum). once you do that , you're looking at a huge increase in power. Something to think about before you start throwing big money at an LR to repair its engine.

my shop works on L/R's half of us drive L/C's and the other half drive porsche's so that should tell you something. L/R's have one thing on a cruiser the ability to flex insanely even stock. but really good driving can make up for less flex.
YOU MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE

Just to stir the pot some more, I also went up that hill (see avatar), and I was behind the Prez. I went up in low range & NO CDL or Lockers!

Watch out, The Prez is going to clear the whole issue with those leaky Landy's

NorCalDoug said:
I was there.

I signed up on the discoweb board, but can't post until I confirm -- I'm planning on setting the record straight there regarding the specifics of the video.

Mine's the 2nd rig after the Disco.

The hill looked extremely steep from the bottom and it wasn't clear if it was passable at the top -- there was a boulder that looked as if it was blocking the exit at the topo. Most of our group bypassed.

The Discovery was a model without a center diff lock -- no center diff lock, no lockers.

He proceeded up the hill and didn't stop (to pose or anything similar) until he got stuck. He got stuck at that spot because the his tires spun. Due to the fact that he was loaded with gear -- very top and rear heavy, we were concerned that he would tip backwards.

I went up in low range WITHOUT front/rears locked -- no problem at all.

I am in love with Rovers like I'm in love with Reese Witherspoon. On the other hand, I also love my wife and am happily married and would never trade her for 10,000 Reese Witherspoons, kinda like my locked X3, 350'd, FJ80. That Defender 130 is pretty sexy though... :D

White Shark said:
I am in love with Rovers like I'm in love with Reese Witherspoon. On the other hand, I also love my wife and am happily married and would never trade her for 10,000 Reese Witherspoons, kinda like my locked X3, 350'd, FJ80. That Defender 130 is pretty sexy though... :D
You say that now...but what are you really gonna do when a full division of the Reese Whitherspoons comes knocking on your door? We're taling 10,000 Reese Witherspoons!

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure your wife's cool...but come on...that's a whole lotta Reese.

:D

Well besides the troll who started the thread on DiscoWeb, the LR owners seem very reasonable. Alot of it seems to be personal preference. Blocky vs. Sculpture. That's a basic philisophical design difference between Toyota and LR...hehe, they must hate my 4Runner w/ a passion.

Although the LC history and "soul" comments are funny, since the LC history is quite impressive. They call the LC 'plain jane-like everyone else' yet all they see on the trail is Jeeps and LR's? Sounds like the Jeeps & LR's are just like everyone else and the LC crowd is the unique one! ;)

I feel bad for Kevin now, b/c he and his sons were really cool. I hope he doesn't read all this stuff ripping his truck and driving! I looked over his LR and liked all the nice mods done to it, it is simply missing some lockers to make it capable.

Doug is right, he was loaded down w/ 3 people and alot of stuff. The rear was really sagging w/ cargo.
so he lost traction on the front wheels as that last part had a dip and then kicked up steeper. Kevin was a good driver on the trip- just made a mistake attempting that hill. But no one was hurt and everyone got their blood pressure exercised :) Brett, Scott & I jumped on the front bumper so it wouldn't endo down the mountain & Alvaro strapped him up.

The basic fact is the FZJ80 took that hill and many other obstacles with ease where the Disco got hung up. Doug, Joe, Dana & Derek went up in their 80's w/ absolutely no trouble at all. As to mechanicals, the LC's everything (axles, diffs, control arms, etc) look alot bigger than the LR's. The LR is a smaller wagon but if you want to compare... LC's won't be loosing that argument.

The video was good-natured ribbing. We all got on w/ Kevin &Co. great.

Last edited:
75% of the worlds population 1st vehiclle seen is a L/R... I think i read that in NAt geo or popular mechanics....

I was actually shopping for a rover when I ran across the LC. I didn't even know that Toyota made 4x4's back then.

Kalawang

ummm ok.
... I wouldnt be on here if I wasnt a cruiser guy... just a bit of info i thought was interesting..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom