1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Question: Land Cruiser or Land Rover?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Cruisin' Becky, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Cruisin' Becky

Cruisin' Becky

Hey Guys,

I know what a stupid question this is, but I've heard the the Range Rover is the number one off-road vehicle out there. What are the in-depth, technicals behind that? Before I got my 80, I was deciding b/t a RR of LC, but I went with my 80 b/c of the long lasting durability. What do you think?

I'm a newbie girl, so don't be too hard on me!! ;)

Thanks!!

2. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

You made the right choice......nothing to worry about.

3. Biff

Biff

Okay just for saying the above, I recommend you'd be :ban:

j/k

My brother has a brand new rr disco and he couldn't hold a candle to my LC when it was unlocked. Now that I have it locked I blow him away. both offroad and onroad. So rest assure the LC is way more capable than a rr.

check out this video, towards the end you see a RR being totally embarased by a whole bunch of LC's. I know its not a comparison, but its kinda funny. Iin the end though its all about reliability, for me that means Toyota.

RR trying to climb a hill.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  4. Brentbba

Brentbba Former Golfer SILVER Star

RR = Marketing budget. Yota doesn't really advertise what the LC is truely capable of doing.

You did very well with your choice Becky!

5. Bryan E.

Bryan E.

Becky, I bought a 94 LC back in 98 w/85000 mi's. My brother decided to look into these a month or two later, and found he could get a lot newer Rover for less than my Cruiser, so he bought the Rover. He got a low mileage 97, with all books, maintenance, doctor owned vehicle. I've only had two items come up that weren't normal maintanence, drivers window came unglued on my wife and she was right there at the dealership so they covered it. Had the starter contacts go out on a trip and had a rebuild shop right there so he fixed this. Other than this, belts, hoses, coolant, oil, plugs and wires, filters, etc. My brother's cruiser has cost him over $7K, and it now runs fine but it's worth still half of what my Cruiser is worth. I'd say that you made the right choice.

6. Fochdog

Fochdog

*** Disclaimer: The person responsible for the below statement owns a Land Cruiser & would never buy a Land Rover for any reason. ***
    *** Land Rovers SUCK ***​

In the broad spectrum of SUVs on the market Land Rover vehicles have/had a pretty good mix of off road attributes.

- short wheelbases
    - solid axles with soft, long travel suspension (historically)
    - good under body packaging with very few vulnerable components
    - adjustable suspensions
    - full-time transfer cases
    - easy to upgrade ( lockers, suspension, bumpers & winch)

However, they have been plagued with notorious reliability and expensive repair bills. They also have never offered factory lockers!

7. flintknapper

flintknapper

This is my position as well. Don't let anyone tell you that a Land Cruiser is the only 4wd that will "get you to the top of the hill".....it just isn't so. Reliability on the other hand, is what most attracted me to the Toyota.

8. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

for what I'm doing, expedition-type wheeling, reliability is way more important than sheer offroading ability. If I can't get to the top of the hill, I'll try another line or another hill. fine. But if I'm in the middle of Baja or Death Valley and the axle breaks in 2, that's big trouble.

9. Arleaux

Arleaux

As a former owner, I can say that the Rover is capable.
    I have no problem w/ wrenchin on the trail every once in a while. Its the wrenchin on the way there, & on the way home that gets old.
    Once I got my first cruiser, it was all over.

You dun good.

10. Fochdog

Fochdog

This is why I would stay away from a Rover product, despite some of their positives.

11. chip7238

chip7238

From the guy trying to sell one no doubt!
    :rolleyes:

I've driven most of the so called real offroaders - Jeeps, Discos, Range Rovers. To the credit of Land Rover, they are okay offroad, but offer marginal drivetrains, handling, and electrical systems. Not to mention the repairs & cost! It's been said that the only happy Rover owner is a former Rover owner. :doh:

The 'Cruiser is the finest all-around vehicle available - ya dun gooood!

Chip

12. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Does this look like a better 4WD?
    Bill Moore Lake 047.jpg

13. MH_Stevens

MH_Stevens

If by Land Rover you mean a real Land Rover like the one the Queen drives or like the one that wiched it's self up a tree in "The Gods Must be Crazy" then the answer is a Land Rover. If you mean a Discovery or a Range Rover your question is an insult to both a real Land Rover and to Land Cruiser.

14. Bear80

Bear80

All I can say is that anything made by a Brit is a POS. Yeah yeah the Discovery Series is pretty tuff on tht trail but it doesn't come close to a FZJ80. Then you have the Range which is right in line with comfort but again can't compaire on the trail. Bottom line, neither the Range or Disco have lockers and I'd never put my trust in the Rovers. When I'm 100+ miles from the nearest help, never will I want to be in a Rover.

15. BC/LX450

BC/LX450

Where did u get that awesome sticker?

BC/LX450

16. Bongani

Bongani

Yea right, stupid question. :doh:

Though there are 100s of reasons but I would mention two.
    1. RR: very expensive to repair. Airbags ar R15k each. Thus total of R60k or around $8500 to replace the airbag and belief me. They break quickly.

2. LR: Well they fall over quickly. Below pics is of my LR Defender. Was driving 100km/h and had a blow out. Only had 8000km on the clock. Thank goodness I am now converted. Been driving TLC for almost 2 years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. t rex

t rex

Hey Bongani

i think you got your stories mixed.

#2's the new range rover body design for 2006. :doh:

18. Bongani

Bongani

Oops. My mistake on number 2. Never the less LandRovers SUX.

19. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Remember the KnightRider!

Media:
    Albums:
    Cruisers are horrible, you should sell me yours quick while you can still get out of it :D

20. Cruisin' Becky

Cruisin' Becky

Alright! Alright! I'm sorry! :crybaby: I just was curious. I have luved my 80 ever since I got it. I just wanted to know what the big fuss was about with the RR.

I'm a college student and I got my 80 as a graduation gift. I guess I didn't know what I had. Please forgive me! :D

Here is another newbie stupid question: What are lockers?

I know. I know. I am just not the best with FORUM lingo! :eek: But cut me some slack I only knew about you guess 3 days ago!

CRUISIN' BECKY