Stuck NSS connector...HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PNWTreeOctopus

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello Great minds of the 80 series community. I’m trying to disconnect the barrel shaped connector that connects my NSS to the harness. I’ve wedged a dental pick under the small retaining clip, I’ve tried to pull this thing apart and I can’t seem to do it given it’s akward location. I’ve even hit the plug with PB blaster to help loosen it, but I’m struggling to get it separated without mangling the connector.
493857F7-07CC-49BF-8BA9-FF5754F52D20.jpeg

I’d be grateful for any tricks you may have for getting stuck connotes connected.

Ok so I tried to get a photo of both connectors, but I could only manage this one.
9F5E3B71-F052-4887-B09C-E0AE50212534.jpeg
So is this the side I depress the tab? I can’t seem to rotate the connectors to photograph the other side, which is where I have tried to lift what appears to be a retaining clip.

Ok so if I understand correctly I should push this triangular spot before attempting to separate the two halves.
9FB05294-3C5F-4FC5-9407-8E39998D49C3.jpeg

Yea press that and pull like a mofo on the connector not the wires. Sometimes I use a small flat blade and twist in between the two

This is really helpful, I’ll go give this a whirl. Thanks everyone!

This is the most frustrating thing ever. Nothing seems to budge. It certainly doesn’t help that it’s in such a tight space. I can’t seem to make the flat part budge. Does anyone have a photo of this connector separated? I am leery of increasing force and bungling this job...

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I tried for an hour and a half to press this tab diwn to release the connector to no avail. It actually feels like the tab is not depressing at all-perhaps there is 25 years worth of grime preventing it from moving. I had to give up I ordered to attend to other tasks. I’ll post any further updates...

Would anyone find it in their hearts to dig out the part number and known sources for the harness side of this NSS connector? my trucks been down for six months connector melted,the neutral safety switch itself was replaced
thanks guys

Would anyone find it in their hearts to dig out the part number and known sources for the harness side of this NSS connector? my trucks been down for six months connector melted,the neutral safety switch itself was replaced
thanks guys

Unobtanium. When talking to Onur (Beno) on the phone, he confirmed that the harness side plug is no longer available. It’s connected to a sub harness of the engine wireing harness, but I don’t have any numbers. You will need to find an 8 pin connector and install it in place of the original barrel connector...assuming it’s your 8 pin plug that’s shot. There are numerous options online for connectors...mine runs, so I’ve not monkeyed with the plug transplant yet. Good luck.

Hey thanks again for taking the time to throw me online. I thought I had one but the guy says it might be months before he has it available so I’m back to square one.
can you think of any yards that may?
Thank you I do appreciate your help

id Look through the vendors section. Contact the scrap yards by phone. Find the eBay parts folks and reach out directly. Good luck. Might be cheaper to have the wiring repaired at a local auto electric shop since the parts are hard to locate and probably command the corresponding price.

thanks guys

Did you ever remedy this ?

I finally fixed my NSS issues by replacing the electrical connector on my harness and NSS. It took me a long time to finally have the courage to cut my engine harness, but I’m so glad I got this working. My truck now holds in 2 and L and I have reverse lights and dash indicator lights. I documented my odyssey in my build/ base line thread. Let's Baseline my new to me 1993 Land Cruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom