Strange ignition-starting problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1995 has developed a strange starting issue that I need some help on. After sitting for several hours (usually overnite) it will not start. Turning the key results in a click but no starter engagement. Battery has tested fine. No amount of jiggling the key helps. Here's the strange part. A PO had installed a viper alarm/remote start and the vehicle will start instantly when hitting the remote start button. No hesitation, no sound of a weak battery, it will start perfectly fine.

Once driven the vehicle will start every time with the key, it only does this having sat for a few hours. I have cleaned and tightened all connections, battery terminals, etc. but it has made no difference. My initial thoughts would be ignition switch but if it were a mechanical issue in the switch why would it only do this after having sat for a few hours? Once warmed up, it starts every time. Anyone have any ideas?

If I recall, the 'start' wire from the ignition will be cut to wire in the remote start solenoid. Most of the time they are crimped-- I'd start looking at the those connections. If it's not making good contact I could envision it turning over warm but not cold. Good luck!

Also a chance the starter motor contacts are worn to nothing, it's an easy-ish fix to get hold of new contacts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom