strange grinding noise from the rear end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,
I am getting a very strange metal on metal sound from my rear end while driving on the highway. I have had my 3" lift on now for about 2 months, but this sound has just started over the past couple of weeks. It never happens when I hit a bump, or when I am driving below forty. it seems to be worse in the 60mph range and gets a little better above that. the sound is just a quick metal on metal bump or grind. it has noting to do with acceleration or braking, as I only hear it when i am on a smooth road and maintaining speed. I live atop lookout mountain and I have noticed that I hear it going down the mountain above 40 but never coming up the mountain at speeds above 40.
I have checked all the installed lift items to make sure they are tight and cant find a problem, dont see any worn bushings or rub spots. I cannot hear the sound when bouncing up and down on the bumper.
I wonder about kdss since it stiffens at higher speeds, but i cant imagine why i would hear anything on a smooth road instead of on bumps.
I have 160k on my truck so it could be wear on something, anybody ever have an issue like this?
thanks!

So it sounds like you do not hear it while applying power (going up a grade) but DO hear it while off throttle going down a grade? And on level, smooth highways at highway speeds?
Also, when you say it's like metal on metal, is it a constant sound like grinding, scraping or rubbing that lasts for a while or just like a ping, bang, or instant sound. If so, how often and loud? Are you sure it's external and not in the cabin somewhere in the back?
Have you had anyone (or yourself) sit in the third row seat and see if you could isolate the sound better from back there? Maybe coming from either the right, left side or center?

its a quick grinding sound that last for less than a second. once on a smooth grade and between 40 and 75 it is happening a lot. I cant find a pattern but I may hear it 5 times in a minute, then not hear it again for a few minutes. it has gotten worse/happens more over the last few days. It gets worse with people in the back seat. it is definitely not inside the car, coming from the rear, but we argue over which side rear based on where people are sitting. from the drivers seat it sounds like rear passenger, but thats hard to tell. I cant feel any vibration thru the steering. vehicle is running fine but its enough of a metal on metal clunk or grind to know something is amiss and getting worse.

I would still check the wear indicator on the brakes. I had that fool me for a while on my FJ.

I found it. Its pretty embarrassing to admit. I have been looking for this noise for days. the screws in the last two crossbars on my roof rack had backed out just a bit and at certain speeds it would set up a vibration. I have had several people ride in different places in the vehicle looking for this, there were disagreements on where it was coming from the bottlom left/right/center based on where people sat, but no one ever said it was coming from the top. just goes to show how sound can travel through metal and trick the crap out of you from time to time.

Yeah, I had a noise one time I would swear was coming from the bottom of the windshield, turned out to be a broken seal at the very top of the windshield. I guess the noise was reflecting somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom