Steering Knuckle Grease Level (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.intechrv.com
OK, I did a search and possibly I am missing something. I have the factory service manual and it fails to state how much Molybednum disulfide lithium base chassis grease (NLGI No. 2) to put into the knuckle. I was believing that you don't fill it to the top...and squirting it with a grease gun will definitely leave air gaps as it doesn't "flow" down and level out. Any tips on what to do here to make certain I have the correct level? Thanks in advance!!

OK, I did a search and possibly I am missing something. I have the factory service manual and it fails to state how much Molybednum disulfide lithium base chassis grease (NLGI No. 2) to put into the knuckle. I was believing that you don't fill it to the top...and squirting it with a grease gun will definitely leave air gaps as it doesn't "flow" down and level out. Any tips on what to do here to make certain I have the correct level? Thanks in advance!!

Cant really do it in one shot, difficult to tell how much to add and immediately see how full it is. Put some in, drive a few hundred miles, check, put some in, repeat, until it's right. How much to add is also somewhat of a guess, if it looks pretty much empty, will add a tube, just low, half tube, etc. In cold weather it takes more driving (speed and distance) to get it to mix/flow, but it will.

Pick up 4 tubes of Valvoline palladium, two for each side for an empty to full fill.

Buy a cheap grease gun and squirt it in the hole in top or use a Ziploc bag and do it frosting style.

2/3-3/4 full that's about 1 1/2-2 tubes of grease from the grease gun. fill it up, drive a little bit and recheck when the grease has settled. the birf should be covered with grease

I think it was @LS1FJ40 who has a pretty cool method for filling the birfs using a freezer bag with the corner nicked out. Acts similar to the cake frosting decorating bags the wife has (had - she hasn't noticed I took it yet :rofl:)

Yep, a quality freezer ziploc bag. Turn it inside out and put it on your hand like a mitten (like picking up dog poop). Scoop out all of the moly in the tub, then turn the bag right side out. Nip off a corner of the bag (small enough to fit in the port). Squeeze the moly down to the corner and twist.

Yep, a quality freezer ziploc bag. Turn it inside out and put it on your hand like a mitten (like picking up dog poop). Scoop out all of the moly in the tub, then turn the bag right side out. Nip off a corner of the bag (small enough to fit in the port). Squeeze the moly down to the corner and twist.

Why haven't I thought of that?!

I kind of do the opposite when changing birfs. I use plastic bag as a mitt to scoop moly grease out of the knuckle, turn bag inside out over a handful of grease, and discard with birf soup safely wrapped up inside. My trail tool kit has a bunch of plastic bags in it for this purpose. Saves a heap of mess, and less hand clean up afterwards.

^^^^nitrile gloves? - I just leave a box/100 plus the 8pr in my medic bag in back the 80 next to my chachi cheap/soft toolbags.

And I just remembered there's a couple pair in my fancy TEQ toolroll.

Mebbe I'm just overly O/C.

Why haven't I thought of that?!

I kind of do the opposite when changing birfs. I use plastic bag as a mitt to scoop moly grease out of the knuckle, turn bag inside out over a handful of grease, and discard with birf soup safely wrapped up inside. My trail tool kit has a bunch of plastic bags in it for this purpose. Saves a heap of mess, and less hand clean up afterwards.

^^^^nitrile gloves? - I just leave a box/100 plus the 8pr in my medic bag in back the 80 next to my chachi cheap/soft toolbags.

And I just remembered there's a couple pair in my fancy TEQ toolroll.

Mebbe I'm just overly O/C.

I keep a 100 box in each 80. Plus some in my medic bag as well. Plus some in the arm rest.

The ziploc Trick is still genius if I do say so myself.

The ziploc Trick is still genius if I do say so myself.

Oh yeah, for sure for filling esp if you have tub grease.

I'm just wondering if they sell nitriles in Australia :hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly: - ziploc gloves have to suck worse than being an adult in mittens (my snowboard gloves are mittens). :poof::poof:

Oh yeah, for sure for filling esp if you have tub grease.

I'm just wondering if they sell nitriles in Australia :hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly: - ziploc gloves have to suck worse than being an adult in mittens (my snowboard gloves are mittens). :poof::poof:

I wear mittens on the regular! Much warmer than gloves! My guess is that OZ doesn’t even know what mittens are!

I wear mittens on the regular! Much warmer than gloves! My guess is that OZ doesn’t even know what mittens are!

I doubt even @Aloha Jen knows what they are. ;)
(Although it must be weird stringing lights on palm trees)

:::I wish I didn't know what they were myself:::

I doubt even @Aloha Jen knows what they are. ;)
(Although it must be weird stringing lights on palm trees)

:::I wish I didn't know what they were myself:::

I will speak for the collective Mud community and say that we are all thankful she doesn’t know what they are (or at least have a use for them)!

I love the snow. I don’t mind the cold as long as there is snow. Can’t wait to be 30 minutes from world class skiing everyday!

Ever since I was a kid I've called mittens "Wintertime anti-suicide gloves" -(you can't finger a trigger)- ;)

Odd, but my Mom was not amused. Go figure. :meh:

I’ve used a huge syringe to add grease.
Question- can you add grease with out taking the wheels off?

Hi the only way to put grease in is to take CV out repack . The more you force in only goes through axle oil seal into dff. If it is leaking down inside wheel the oil seal is shot anyway .Cheers

I’ve used a huge syringe to add grease.
Question- can you add grease with out taking the wheels off?

Yes. 13mm open ended wrench to take off the inspection Port on the top of the knuckle.

Hi the only way to put grease in is to take CV out repack . The more you force in only goes through axle oil seal into dff. If it is leaking down inside wheel the oil seal is shot anyway .Cheers

No.

Hey! Not all desert, crocodiles and kangaroos down here. We actually do have some poor excuses for mountains that get a close approximation to snow on them each year. I have 3 finger glove/mitts I snow board in.

I've never looked for nitrite gloves. I have hands like gorillas paws, most disposal gloves tear before I get them on.

I use grocery bags, lighter weight than a zip lock, it's only got to do one scoop, then wrap it up.

I'll have to try and find some nitrile gloves in FH size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom