Steering box shot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My power steering box is worn out. I tried to adjust it but after a few weeks the steering started to have play in it again. The truck won't hold a steady line. I took it to a local independent shop (Anderson Automotive here in Olathe) to see what they thought and they called back and confirmed that the box is worn out. They want $767.14 for a replacement box and $366 for labor to install it.

It seems as though these boxes are hard to find. Napa doesn't have one available any longer. The only place I've found a box is from CruiserYard.com. They want $437 + $229 core charge. Do I have any other options here? I am no mechanic, certainly don't have the tools or know-how to do this.

Also, is $366 a reasonable price for labor to R&R a box?

I assume we are talking 80 series rigs.

These don't rebuild that easy. There is a shop in Texas that I have heard does lots of them. Search for porting for hydro, and their name should pop up.

Takes about hour to take it off, (don't spin the steering wheel or you have more parts to buy :( )

I would say 2-3 hours to take old off and drop on the new one, assuming you have the right tools to pop off the arm.

Might see if that junkyard by the stadium has it on still.

Yeah, 80 box. I don't want to buy a junk box as it will probably have as many miles as my current one does. Rather get a rebuilt one that will last another 10+ years.

Anyone recommend a shop that is LC friendly to do the work? I have new tie-rods to put on as well.

Mollie wanted $1037 in labor to R&R the steering box and tie rods and do an alignment. I'm just going to go with the local shop by me. It seems most shops don't like it when you bring your own parts. Oh well, I've got to get it done. Still cheaper than a car payment I tell myself...

prob a week turnaround from west texas on a box rebuild. .Chris and I sent em 2 not very long ago..
tie rod ends? they really aren't that expensive.. I'm betting you can rent a wreck for a week.. Send your box to west texas.. instal new ends and be back on the road for about $500 in parts including a rebuild.. Only if your box doesn't have a bent sector shaft..

You might try this guy. They have great reviews on google, and someone here recommended them. General feeling I got is he is pretty honest by reading the reviews, and know Toyota's pretty well.

Williams Automotive of Lenexa
Bill is the guy everyone talks about

@KS-Ryan how soon do you need this done ? Are you able to remove the box yourself ? I will not be available until about Wed of next week but I do have a spare box I need to go back into and reset the preload, it has been completely re sealed. If your box is salvageable I would consider trading plus cash for the one I have. The only reason I haven't sold it yet is because I like to have a spare.

I already ordered the box from Cruiser Yard and got Anderson Automotive to drop their labor a bit. It should hopefully be all done next week.

Thank you all for your offers of help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom