Steering box replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I've been lurking here for the last year or so after buying my first FJ80 - a '93. I am now onto my second - a 97 that is in pretty amazing shape with the exception of the steering - there is a frightening amount of play. After reading a lot on here and doing some basic testing I determined that I need to replace the power steering box.

I now have a reman unit on hand and am preparing to have at it. I've read as much as I can here but I've not found a thread that walks through the process of replacing it in any significant detail. I know that it requires removing the fluid lines and the 4 mounting bolts, plus disconnecting it from the steering column. I'm not terribly concerned about that portion but I am concerned about getting correct alignment between the drag link/pitman arm and the box and the steering column and the box. Considering this will be a new unit, I don't have any way to mark things so I can get them aligned correctly on install.

I'm also concerned about any other unknown or unexpected catastrophes that may be waiting for me.

Can someone please help a brother figure out how to go about this with minimal knuckle-busting and chain cussing? I really don't want to f this up.

Much appreciated!

The important part is maintaining steering box center to steering wheel center.
Yeah. That’s the part I’m not sure how to accomplish. I can get the wheel centered but how do I know if the box gears are centered as well? Maybe I could somehow rotate the box before putting it on to determine and then set it to center?

Yeah. That’s the part I’m not sure how to accomplish. I can get the wheel centered but how do I know if the box gears are centered as well? Maybe I could somehow rotate the box before putting it on to determine and then set it to center?

Best to center the steering wheel before removing the old box. The sector has marks that need to be parallel to the frame mounting surface.

The pitman arm and the sector (output) shaft should both has alignment Mark's cast into them so you can be sure they are indexed to each other properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom