Steering box questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my next morph of my 40 I need to change steering box locations. I'm sticking with my hydro assist as I am just not wanting full hydro yet. I've narrowed solutions down to an IFS mini box or a FJ-60 box. What say the collective on which box would be better of those two choices?

:confused: :cheers:

my memory may be wrong, but IIRC, the 60-box is the similar to the scout...arm faces forward (good)...the IFS mini faces backward (bad)

hopefully someone remembers that as fact...

60 series pitman arm does face forward.

:beer:

my memory may be wrong, but IIRC, the 60-box is the similar to the scout...arm faces forward (good)...the IFS mini faces backward (bad)

hopefully someone remembers that as fact...

Thats exactly what I wanted to know! I wasn't sure. Haven't played with Toy steering boxes much so I'm in rapid learning mode.

Thanks!

I am running an FJ60 box with an Fj80 arm (less drop).

Will be hydro assisted soon...

Scout box is only 3 mounting bolts to the FJ60 4, but the scout sector shaft is larger. FJ80 box is about the same as the FJ60.

My 60 box is perfect on the street and before I air down my 37" Irocks, but with a locked front end and aired down 37's, it is not strong enough.

I am running an FJ60 box with an Fj80 arm (less drop).

Will be hydro assisted soon...

Scout box is only 3 mounting bolts to the FJ60 4, but the scout sector shaft is larger. FJ80 box is about the same as the FJ60.

My 60 box is perfect on the street and before I air down my 37" Irocks, but with a locked front end and aired down 37's, it is not strong enough.

I have been running an Astrovan box for years and love it! Unfortunatly, I got new stuff that will be right where the box is now. Once you do the assist you wont have anymore problems fighting lockers and squished tires! ;) Thanks!

Recently I do a totally rebuild to my PS pump and factory Box .. I have the same xperience as Cruising GA on the street with my 37" MTR and road pressure .. all is nice ..

But chained, locked and aired down .. I feel all PS system is on limit ..

hey how hard is it to mod a box for hydro assist? is it just throwin it under the drill press and then taping the holes??? or is there more to it than there looks to be. sry havnt done much searching on the subject so if im asking an old question again im sry.
-Thanks

Search on pirate, and on google, and here. There is tons of info.

It does require tearing the box down and pulling all the guts out, so you essentially rebuild the box at the same time you drill and tap the ports.

hey how hard is it to mod a box for hydro assist? is it just throwin it under the drill press and then taping the holes??? or is there more to it than there looks to be. sry havnt done much searching on the subject so if im asking an old question again im sry.
-Thanks

It's pretty simple. Once you know where the ports need to be, you can either tear the box down or you can take your time and do it assembled. I've done both ways on a few different model boxes and don't really have a preference. Just make sure you're set on the locations and it's not too bad.

Heres a write up I did on Marlin's site a while back. It's for a mini IFS box but gives you an idea of what's involved. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10579.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom