1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Arm Preload

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by texas dogman, Feb 28, 2007.

1. texas dogman

texas dogman

When I get to the point of completing mini truck knuckle conversion and to stage of selecting shims to set steering arm preload, I may or may not yet purchased new 4x4 high high steer kit (which I will eventually).

Question: Will I be able to set correct preload and test with fish scale with my old stock 40 steering arms if I drill them out sufficiently for the larger mini knuckle studs and just use flat washers to temporarily determine if I have selected the correct top shims?

I'd like to use the old arms during this part of the rebuild, then buy the high steer kit later on during the rebuild. Just trying to spread out some of the expensive purchases.

Thanks.

2. 1973Guppie

1973Guppie SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I have read elsewhere that it is reccomended to run a higher preload when using high steer, not sure if this is a fact though. Why would you drill out the old LC steering arms? why not use the minitruck arms temporarily? I would use the minitruck arms and set it up for the reccomended preload for a high steer setup.

Noah

3. texas dogman

texas dogman

Yes, I will make sure I set the right pre load for the high steer. Thanks for reminding me of that.

But as far as the mini truck arms....ain't got a set to use. Didn't get the arms with the mini truck knuckles.

4. 1973Guppie

1973Guppie SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    hmmmm, sorry not sure what effect drilling the LC arms out would have. I would guess you could get close enough to make it work......

Noah

5. cruiserlad

cruiserlad SILVER Star

Temporary

You can do this but it should only be temporary for set up purposes. This was the hardest part about setting up my front axle rebuild. I got the high steer from 4x4 Labs and I was amazed at how much trial and error was involved. Attaining preload isn't the problem. Getting the knuckle centered on the ball can be the real problem. The new arms may or may not be exactly the same dimensions as the old arms bearing depth and so on. HTH

;)

6. JGM

JGM

Assume you have the mini-truck knuckles? Seems like this would be a booger. At about $129, I would just buy the real arms do it once for real. Then you will still have the non-molested original arms that could be useful to someone to help defray that cost....

7. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

Having just done this conversion last weekend, I can't imagine why you'd want to drill out small pattern knuckles. Even if you did, the cone washers would be useless at that point ... and we're talking sixteen holes here. You can pick up some used mini-truck or 60 series steering arms for cheap, go that route and save yourself some headache. You're going to have to re-shim when you get the hi-steer arms anyway ...

Tucker

8. texas dogman

texas dogman

So it sounds like I just need to go ahead and get the hi steer arms from the start. That will be best. I'll just do it that way. Thanks.