Steelies: Wheel Vintiques on an FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm thinking about putting some steel Wheel Vintiques Series 12s on my '93 FZJ80. I've only seen one other member (@Mark1313) with these wheels. Anyone have more/better photos?

DSC02896.jpg

DSC02894.jpg

DSC02892.jpg

Also, I'm not crazy, right? These wheels will actually fit an 80 series, correct?

OEM '93 wheel specs:
  • Size: 16" x 8"
  • Bolt Pattern: 6 x 5.5"
  • BS: 4.5"
  • Center Bore Diameter: 106mm or 4.17"
  • Offset: 0"
  • Wheel Stud Thread: M12-1.5???
  • Lug Nut Seat Style: ???

Wheel Vintiques 12 Series specs (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-12-680604/overview/):
  • Size: 16"x8"
  • Pattern: 6"x5.5"
  • BS: 4.0"
  • Center Bore Diameter: 108mm or 4.25"
  • Offset: -12mm
  • Wheel Stud Thread: N/A
  • Lug Nut Seat Style: Conical 60*

Since the OEM backspacing is 4.5", and the Wheel Vintiques backspacing is 4", the wheel will sit slightly further out. Anyone think this will be a problem? I'm running a 315/75/16 tire on an OME 2.5" lift (with fender flares).

wheel-backspace-diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Not a problem at all to run those with the 4" BS, pretty much perfect in my eyes. Not my style but will look cool none the less!

your scrub radius will be off a tiny amount, but not really worth mentioning, otherwise looks fine to me.

Yes definitely. Send me the $$$ for the wheel alignment, I'll tell you you're good to go and save you the inconvenience of going into a shop for a bogus wheel alignment.

Everyone wins :hillbilly:

I deserve that.

Cool wheels. Not my style, maybe to old school for an 80?

Let's wait and see what they look like once installed. :D

The std Aluminum wheel is also 16x8 with 0 offset. you should be just fine to run these.

EDIT: is there a reason you want the solid looking disc? A set of 4Runner Steel Spare wheels would cost less and only have a minor offset difference

The std Aluminum wheel is also 16x8 with 0 offset. you should be just fine to run these.

EDIT: is there a reason you want the solid looking disc? A set of 4Runner Steel Spare wheels would cost less and only have a minor offset difference

The Wheel Vintiques Series 12 16"x8" isn't quite 0 offset. But very close. -12mm

What are the specs on the 4Runner steel wheels? I only see 16"x7" and not sure on the backspacing.

Last edited:
Consider 17's. Looks like that's an option for the Series 12's.

I already have a brand new set of 315/75/16 BFG Mud Terrain KM2s, so I'd like to find some 16" wheels.

What is wrong with the stock rims? Light, well proven to be durable, fit properly, etc.

Absolutely nothing wrong with stock wheels. I just like steel wheels. I think they look cool and retro.

All I will say about the stock wheels is that they are extremely stout. I think there has been one thread started about breaking one and that was a source of much consternation as to how that may have happened. Your wheels appear to be in excellent condition, which commensurates with the overall condition of the truck as you bought it. If you like, you could consider painting, plasti-dipping or powder coating the stock wheels and then decide if you want a different look. The steelies do look nice though, but I would keep the stockers, just in case. They are expensive and hard to find if you change your mind.

All I will say about the stock wheels is that they are extremely stout. I think there has been one thread started about breaking one and that was a source of much consternation as to how that may have happened. Your wheels appear to be in excellent condition, which commensurates with the overall condition of the truck as you bought it. If you like, you could consider painting, plasti-dipping or powder coating the stock wheels and then decide if you want a different look. The steelies do look nice though, but I would keep the stockers, just in case. They are expensive and hard to find if you change your mind.

I'm definitely hanging on to my stock Toyota wheels. Japanese wheels, especially Toyota wheels, are exceptionally well made. I might get them refinished or powder-coated, but I'm not getting rid of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom