1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting problems

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by perk, Feb 21, 2007.

1. perk

perk

Starting a few weeks ago, it started not turning over when turning key, nothing (approximately 4 times over last 3 weeks). Started on second try each time. A couple days ago it did this but upon the second try, it began turning over but slowly with a strange, almost clunky sound, not very loud. It did start, but the engine was sounding off. I opened the hood to check, and the sound, which sounded like a really fast metallic rattle, seemed to be coming from around the belts and pulleys (idler pulley was replaced about a year ago), but really not sure. I revved the engine at the throttle cable and it sounded like a laser beam was shot off (no I wasn't drinking), the metallic rattling stopped, and the engine seemed to be running fine.

I've got about 107K on the clock. I know enough to realize the likelihood of bad starter contacts, but after looking through service records found that the PO replaced the started at 55K. Now I'm wondering if I could have an issue other than bad contacts.

Any ideas...

2. PKP80

PKP80

Perk, I would start with the the starter....that was my issue a little while ago

3. Skim

Skim

Was the rattle sound like relays clicking ?

4. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

First thing is to ensure your battery, starter and ground connections are clean and tight.

You might also have your battery checked they can get intermittant when they start to fail.