Starter grind after using remote starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had this remote starter installed on my 96 (a Shelby CS-350r) for at least 10 years.
Lately when I try to start it from the keypad many feet away there are times it will not engage.
I get in the truck and hit the brake to shut down the system because it thinks it is running, turn the key
and the starter engages but makes a horrible grinding sound for a couple clicks and I turn the key to off. Then it starts fine.
I searched and found many posts regarding the starter making a grinding sound, but none with a remote
starter included.
Wondering if anyone can shed some light....

I guess your right. Just seems odd that the only time it grinds is when I try to remote start it.
We'll just put it on the list of things to do next..... Unless of course, you have a rebuilt one laying around?

I have had grinding with my remote start but not sure it is related to your problem.

My remote start seems to have a low voltage cutoff where if my battery is below 12.6 or so it will make three attempts to start the truck and then stop trying, without starting the truck but leaving the starting system in auto start mode. If I then get in the truck and start it with the key (that will work with battery voltage down to 12.0), the truck will start, battery voltage will climb to a normal 13-14V and then the starter will kick in as the remote start senses the appropriate voltage and tries to start the running truck. This has happened once and as soon as I stepped on the brake it exited the auto start mode and all was good. It was a good reminder to ALWAYS step on the brake before starting the truck as I don't know the status of the auto start system.

If your battery voltages are good, maybe the brake cancel is not registering with the auto start system but the key on/off cycle is. In my own situation the erratic behavior of the auto start system did not appear until my resting battery voltages dipped into the mid 12's voltage range.

Hmmm, I'll have to have a good look at that. My battery is a fairly new Diehard deep cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom