srs airbag issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to the site just bought a 2008 lx570 with 130k miles. Took a chance on it since I had a really hard time finding one near me that was in my price range and not brought from out of the area. It is in really nice shape and drives amazing, but already having an issue with the airbags.

I got less then a 1000 miles on it and noticed the passenger airbag never came on when I had a passenger. Didn't notice since I didn't have a passenger in the front seat at first. It will come on at first, but then shutoff fairly quick.

My main use for this truck is taking it into the mountains and snow. First trip out to the mountains and one bump seemed to now put the srs indicator light on. It wasn't much worse then a really bad pothole. It was gone after I restarted, but came back pretty quickly. Disconnected the battery and didn't help.

So now two issues with the airbags :(. Is it worthwhile to try to read the codes from odb2? Are any of the scanners better at dealing with the srs? Any ideas? Just hate to already have to take it into the dealer :(.

I think it's probably just one issue and coincidental. Guessing one of the sensors for the passenger seat belt. After more testing it worked fine then passenger got out and airbag light off comes on and srs light at same time. Going to try pulling the error codes to verify that.

I think it's probably just one issue and coincidental. Guessing one of the sensors for the passenger seat belt. After more testing it worked fine then passenger got out and airbag light off comes on and srs light at same time. Going to try pulling the error codes to verify that.

Wondering if that's something Toyota MIGHT address free of charge--perhaps just out of liability concern re possible failure... Might be worth asking.

Last edited:
It could be the seat belt tensioner sensor. A few people, myself included, have had this issue.

If it's the seatbelt you're looking at close to $375 in parts alone. It was a quick job though so labor wouldn't be bad if you had to pay for it. I'd bring it by a dealer and have them pull the codes via techstream and see what it comes up with.

I actually just swapped in my new seat belt an hour ago. It was getting dark so I wasn't able to clear the codes with Techstream but I'm hoping that was the issue.

Last edited:
Had same issue on my 09 LC200. Light on, light off, restart resets the sensor, works for a while and then a problem again....shows passenger airbag off, red dash light on. Read the codes, reset everything, checked connections and actually was throwing two different codes.

Seat belt tensioner replaced no charge even though outside of warranty, but also had to replace seat bottom sensor....ONE piece....yes entire seat bottom, leather cushion, everything....$1200. Works now.....considering that was the first and only issue after 100k miles, I just wrote the check knowing I am keeping it another 100k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom