Squeezing more out of the 4.6L V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don’t know much about the flow of the 4.6L but since you’ve done the air intake and exhaust mods, maybe go a step further and see if the throttle body and intake manifold can use some porting. Cheap and easy gains that most v8s get from a bit more airflow.

It would be interesting to see how much you can get out of it but think I’ll just enjoy my quiet stock everything engine wise.
I agree Qball. The whole idea of overlanding is not to scare all the wildlife that one went off the beaten track to see with the racket of a noisy intake and exhaust!
Although, I wouldn't mind better MPG! If a chip or something came out like that, that provided significant millage for a reasonable cost, count me in!

Last edited:
I agree Qball. The whole idea of overlanding is not to scare all the wildlife that one when off the beaten track to see with the racket of a noisy intake and exhaust!
Although, I wouldn't mind better MPG! If a chip or something came out like that, that provided significant millage for a reasonable cost, count me in!

Even with purely selfish reasons I rather not have the exhaust drone or noise. I bought Lexus for quiet interior and comfortable ride, part of getting older I guess. I really like to hear without hearing aid when I get to 60. I had louder exhaust and loud stereos when I was younger, been there, done that, realized it’s retarded and moved on.

Sadly with Toyota and in general most of the naturally aspirated engines, there isn’t much anyone can do to improve much. There really isn’t any real return for the investment, turbos are completely different stores. I’m gonna leave mine alone and enjoy the reliability.

Only way to improve MPG is.....not drive it. Get a Tesla for week days and enjoy the weekends in the GX with much less guilt.

It would be interesting to see how much you can get out of it but think I’ll just enjoy my quiet stock everything engine wise.

Even with purely selfish reasons I rather not have the exhaust drone or noise. I bought Lexus for quiet interior and comfortable ride, part of getting older I guess. I really like to hear without hearing aid when I get to 60. I had louder exhaust and loud stereos when I was younger, been there, done that, realized it’s retarded and moved on.

Sadly with Toyota and in general most of the naturally aspirated engines, there isn’t much anyone can do to improve much. There really isn’t any real return for the investment, turbos are completely different stores. I’m gonna leave mine alone and enjoy the reliability.

Only way to improve MPG is.....not drive it. Get a Tesla for week days and enjoy the weekends in the GX with much less guilt.

You both went complete off topic.

I enjoy my quiet vehicle also. Just giving suggestions to the OP.

You both went complete off topic.

I enjoy my quiet vehicle also. Just giving suggestions to the OP.

Not off topic at all. Like I said Naturally aspirated engines can’t really be tuned especially fully computer controlled by Toyota. Only way to get anything out of it is what OP is doing which usually gets obnoxiously loud. Even then you gain like 10 horses and hardly anything gain on butt dyno. Not worth the effort. If he is putting in a twin turbo then that’s a completely different story. Hell our engines already has VVTI and use premium. There isn’t any “tuning” that can be done is what I’m trying to say. Or very little perceived gain for a boat load of money, And the reason Toyota discontinued the super chargers is the connecting rods were bending so turbo will do the same thing. It’s NOT an engine to be messed with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom