Squeezing more out of the 4.6L V8

Discussion in '150-Series Toyotas' started by ChiTown, Jun 13, 2018.

1. ChiTown

ChiTown

So I've had a GX470, and a 5.7L Tundra and I will say that owning a GX460 with the 4.6L has kind of made me miss both of them. The low end grunt that I'm used to I just don't get out of the 4.6L so I'm out to see what I can squeeze out it to help kick it in the rear.

My truck is a 2011 base model with 92k miles on it and is my daily driver.

Covering the basics: (aka cheap stuff, none of these are big HP mods)

1. Swapped out the factory long life iridium spark plugs for a set of NGK IX series iridium plugs. I was getting close to the 100k service interval anyway.

I can see some of you scratching your heads at this point.

The IX series iridium plug use a different style ground electrode to help keep the spark from being shrouded from the incoming mixture, helping the fuel charge ignite faster. (If you're ever bored spark plug tech is crazy!)

2. Swapped out the Air filter for an AFE Pro Dry drop in filter (I don't use oiled filters in MAF equipped cars) and removed the Hydrocarbon trap (the filter stuck to the inside of the air box lid)

I know the Hydrocarbon trap removal is a much debated thing but if BASF thinks it effects HP and MPG they probably have the research to back it up. They state this here as they have come up with a better way to do it.

3. Exhaust is next. The exhaust system of this thing is bottleneck and a half. Yes I understand noise is a big concern for the engineers but this qualifies as the minimum piping diameter needed not to completely strangle the engine. Since I live in CA I am limited but there are ways around it legally.

Just Ideas at this point:

There are CARB approved shorty headers for the 4.6L Tundra which would enable me to get rid of the one piece log style manifold / catalytic converter and run the Tundra front converters. I would have to have the paperwork to show I "swapped" a same year or newer Tundra 4.6L into the GX. This would allow me to redesign the cat-back to a larger diameter, free flowing design.

If any of you have managed to get a little more go out of the 4.6L I'd love to hear about it.

lowlight and pbr streetgang like this.
  2. CreeperSleeper

CreeperSleeper

3. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

4. ChiTown

ChiTown

$15k retail and discontinued as of 5 years ago

5. CreeperSleeper

CreeperSleeper

Looks like there are US suppliers that have NOS still.

6. ChiTown

ChiTown

Still $15-17k, for that kind of money I'll swap it to a 5.7L and figure out the tuning issues.

7. 22Eyunu35VO

22Eyunu35VO

Media:
    Albums:
    No idea if this even possible but thought of swapping in the LS 460 direct injected version of 4.6L motor? It's good for 380HP and 367 ft/lbs of torque IIRC.

8. lowlight

lowlight

I like where your head's at OP!

I love what DirtyDeeds has done with long tube headers + full exhaust for the 5.7L Tundra. Adding ~50hp + 80tq is no joke.

Maybe not that much left on the table with the 4.6L but even half that gain would be nice.

Too bad about the supercharger. You know that stuff is just lying around at Toyota HQ and they could easily do it/make it available again. Oh the resources at their disposal!!!

I'm guessing retrofitting DI components wouldn't be anywhere near cost effective; again, too bad Toyota doesn't decide to just add it to the 4.6L moving forward as part of a "re-fresh" of the GX. It actually makes sense, no one has perfected the art of rolling out the same old product (AND it still selling well) than Toyota.

9. ChiTown

ChiTown

Rumor has it the next GX/4Runner/Prado chassis will be unibody and a possible hybrid. :(

I've talked with a few tuners who are working on software to tune the 4.6 and they have all said the factory ECU will not deal with a boosted engine like the 5.7 ECU does.

I'll be honest I am looking at the 5.7 TRD supercharger closely as I think it will fit on the 4.6 but will require some creative engineering to get it to work right.

10. TypeOne

TypeOne

Do the Tundra 4.6 headers fit the GX? Has anyone tried to put headers on?

11. unklwedy

unklwedy

What about adjusting the position of the top-dead-center sensor to advance timing a bit (say 5 degrees)

12. ChiTown

ChiTown

If you could offset the crank angle sensor it could work. Although you would have to offset the cam sensors equally. I'll have to log the ignition advance to see how much further we could go.

13. TypeOne

TypeOne

I'm sure a full tuning solution would be ideal to get maximum power out of these engines but good luck finding that. I feel like the most you'll be able to do is modify the intake and exhaust system. Even still, there are going to be adverse effects of doing that I'm sure. My bone stock rig gets like 15mpg... I don't see any power mod helping that. LOL

14. ChiTown

ChiTown

From just the plugs, air filter and charcoal trap removal i averaged 2mpg better than my last tank and it sounds cooler now :rofl:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.