Squeaky U-joint? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Squeaky U-joint? (VIDEO ADDED IN MY LAST POST)

Squeaking noise from underneath, verified it's not brakes. ONLY occurs in reverse. If I pop it in neutral and let it continue to roll in reverse, squeaking goes away immediately. U-joint? Greased them all about four weeks ago.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
Anybody? Bueller? Bueller? :p

Doubt if its a u-joint. They usually don't squeak, they "clunk" when are failing, and under load (going uphill). Might be a dragging brake? How loud is it?

Not ridiculously loud by any means but very noticeable. I doubt it's brakes since the noise disappears the instant I take it out of Reverse and let it continue to roll backwards in Neutral.

I'm just starting my 80 experience, but I also doubt it's a u-joint.

Sounds to me more like a brake squealer, or wear indicator, since it quits as soon as you let off on the brakes. I know it sounds odd that it would show up in reverse first, but maybe that's just the way it happened this time?

Sounds to me more like a brake squealer, or wear indicator, since it quits as soon as you let off on the brakes.

Pads and rotors are brand new but it did this with old pads and rotors too.

I am not using the brakes while in Reverse or in Neutral (testing in large parking lot). As soon as I pop it out of Reverse into Neutral (without touching the brakes at all during the entire process), the noise stops instantly.

I'm no expert but this eliminates anything brake-related as the culprit IMO.

Interesting. Did you ever pull the front DS or has the squeak not come back? The possiblity of a t-case problem is not what I wanted to hear! Sounds like a u-joint hopefully. Did some Googling and found the link below. Different vehicle but exactly my symptoms.

Squeaky In Reverse - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

That is interesting. Maybe it is a u-joint. Let us know what you find.

On the other hand, my garage has a steep drive, so I back out of it everyday and hit the brakes starting out. It will likely keep a u-joint from taking the kind of set that is described that generates a chirp at the T-case end of the front prop shaft - maybe. I can see how that could happen, especially if it's not a DD.

Backing up regularly did seem to help keep the brakes adhusted on my 93 Rodeo. I only put new pads on the rear after 100k and I don't think the front ever were replaced before I sold it. It had a 5-speed - amazing how auto trannies eat brakes -- and the backing up to start the day may have helped set the pads. I take care of my gear, but it went to Colorado a lot, so that was the only thing I could ever figure out considering I was running 31/10.50s on it.

I just replaced a rear u-joint. Squeaky, not clunky. I had the front replaced 2 years ago in Edmonton. A toyota specialty shop owner who took it for a drive did NOT think it was a u-joint, and later that day a Toyota dealership mechanic that took it for a 30 minute! drive with me did NOT think u-joint either. The front joint's noise was like beads banging around in the muffler pipe, and high pitched...

I guess they don't always come with generic sounds etc. My mechanic in Edmonton finally dropped the front drive and spun the u-joint and sure enough it replicated the pinging marble sound exactly.

TY

My "squeak" sounds like jumping up and down on an old bed with bad springs, in time with the rolling motion of the truck. That's the best I could describe it after thinking about it for while. ;) I'll try to get a look at it soon.

My noise mysteriously went away, a while after I lubed the ujoints and propeller. I replaced the ujoints anyway just to be on the safe side, as I was getting ready to install my lift. was it the ujoints? I don't know.
fsm says causes of noise are:
1 sleeve yoke spline worn
2 spider stuck or worn

My "squeak" sounds like jumping up and down on an old bed with bad springs, in time with the rolling motion of the truck. That's the best I could describe it after thinking about it for while. ;) I'll try to get a look at it soon.

Yup, that was the sound of the u-joint I just replaced. Embarrassing to pull out in traffic for a while there:eek:

TY

Sorry for your embarassment Ty but that makes me feel better that hopefully I've just got a squeaky u-joint. :)

Last edited:
Quick diagnostic technique and a lube tip. To establish if it's on the rear axle, or the drive shaft, note that the DS rotates about 4 times for each tire/rear axle rotation. In an area you can safely do your backup test, calculate the circumference of your tire and make a chalk mark at that length for 3 lengths. Then place something large enough that you'll feel it when you back over each one, such as a chunk of 2X4 (much smaller will still be felt, obviously). Now back up toward your test zone, drop it in neutral and count the squeaks between bumps. It will be immediately obvious it's doing about 4 squeaks per tire revolution.

So, it's something on the shaft and here's my second comment. Many people improperly grease their drive shafts with the vehicle in Park and tension on the drive shaft as a result of being on even a faint slope. Why? The joint is held in tension and may force grease to go only halfway around a journal before squeezing out of the dust seal. That's why greasing when the truck's up on a shop rack works best. I do mine in neutral in my level garage and also push the truck back and forth with my legs to line up the grease fittings. It may also be wise if you're using a home pump style grease gun to have it done by a shop with air powered grease guns once in a while. With your grease gun you may notice it unevenly greases by coming out only this or that dust seal. With a high volume of grease there's a better chance it will blow any dried grundgy grease out and fully lube the squeaky joint before it gets bad. Don't let them near the f/r shaft spline grease fittings, though. Seriously. Do these at home - 6 full pumps and be done. Overfilling can extend the shaft like a hydraulic ram and crack the casing on the transfer case.

There you have it.

DougM

Don't let them near the f/r shaft spline grease fittings, though.

I hear ya. This is one of the those things where you may have to insist on heading back to the garage area with them so they don't lube the splines. Probably will tick them off, but oh well.

my u joints are sqeeking like hell also i just havet got a cnace to replace them yet. Easy test if you can get under it take a pry bar jame it inbetween the ujoint and the diff or tranny, give it a tug and if it moves its bad, or pull the drive shaft and inspect or check for clunkeyness when moving around.

Crawled underneath today and took some video.

Rear drive shaft is quiet. Front is squeaky. Oddly enough, it sounded like it was coming from the middle of the drive shaft which makes no sense. Maybe it's just transferring the sound down the shaft a bit. Your thoughts? It's got to be a u-joint, eh?

VIDEO LINK: YouTube - Driveshaft Noise, 1993 Land Cruiser

driveshaft is hollow, broadcasting the noise and making it louder?

Would is your next step, take the driveshaft out to check it??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom