Spot Treat Rust ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cruisers...I am curious to hear ideas you may have on how to spot treat rust.
My '70 40 has a good few spots of rust...all over the exterior. Nothing I want to sand and treat...I just want to slow the progression. Keep the patina, but slow it down. Someone mentioned nail polish....really? I wouldn't. But I am sure you all have some ideas that may help preserve my survivor. Thanks,Bill

Well... What I know, which isn't much, is that Ospho (phosphoric acid) does a good job of converting existing rust into a benign (and protective?) iron phosphate. I've used it on my 40 recently and have good results. In my limited experience, I've found it didn't damage my original paint in the short-term, but totally bleached out my rattle-can paint.
So maybe take down the rust spots with a dremel, and treat with Ospho, then clear or colored touch-up paint over the top?
Worth further research, but I think it would work. YMMV :)
I can post up pics of my results if you like.
B.

edit: after reading my comment I want to be clear, I don't have original paint that I used Ospho on. I have a rattle can paint job and I tested a small section of OG paint to see the effect of the Ospho.

There are a number of "Rust Converters" out there that chemically change rust to an inert element. Little wire brush and hit with rust converter then some paint, your good until you are ready to do the real work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom