Speaker question - I really wasn't trying to start another thread.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Proven

RTFM, STEP 6, POST
Threads
I have been compiling speaker install threads and some of y'all have really exotic setups and others more modest. I am on the modest end, where really I only want basic sound. I just installed a nicer head unit and it further proved that my current speakers are trashed.

Unfortunately - a lot of these older threads have pictures that are no longer hosted, or the speakers they used are difficult to find or outright discontinued.

I have been looking at pioneers because they seem to be inexpensive and fit behind the stock front grills. Unfortunately the most common pioneer speakers I found (TS-G1644R) are discontinued. They look like they superseded to TS-TS-G650, which seem to be the same dimensions but isn't easier to find. Then I found TS-G1620's that look like they might be the same dimensions. Is it assumed that 6.5" Pioneer's are very likely to fit in the stock location behind the stock grill?

For the rear speakers, I found a post that said Crutchfield recommended Pioneer TS-6520 for the rear door, but that looks to be discontinued too. Is the TS-G520 the same speaker? Would any pioneer 5.25" speaker fit in the rear behind the stock grill?

I really did not want to make this post, but the information was pretty dated and I can't make guesses with fit. Seems most of the speakers that have been recommended aren't easily found, discontinued or $$$$.

Thanks in advance and sorry for creating yet another "Audio" thread.

Last edited:
I have been compiling speaker install threads and some of y'all have really exotic setups and others more modest. I am on the modest end, where really I only want basic sound. I just installed a nicer head unit and it further proved that my current speakers are trashed.

Unfortunately - a lot of these older threads have pictures that are no longer hosted, or the speakers they used are difficult to find or outright discontinued.

I have been looking at pioneers because they seem to be inexpensive and fit behind the stock front grills. Unfortunately the most common pioneer speakers I found (TS-G11644R) are discontinued. They look like they superseded to TS-TS-G650, which seem to be the same dimensions but isn't easier to find. Then I found TS-G1620's that look like they might be the same dimensions. Is it assumed that 6.5" Pioneer's are very likely to fit in the stock location behind the stock grill?

For the rear speakers, I found a post that said Crutchfield recommended Pioneer TS-6520 for the rear door, but that looks to be discontinued too. Is the TS-G520 the same speaker? Would any pioneer 5.25" speaker fit in the rear behind the stock grill?

I really did not want to make this post, but the information was pretty dated and I can't make guesses with fit. Seems most of the speakers that have been recommended aren't easily found, discontinued or $$$$.

Thanks in advance and sorry for creating yet another "Audio" thread.

Here is my recent adventure: Audio upgrade for the 21st century

I used:

4 doors each got a pioneer ts-g1645r speaker.
They're Still available on amazon for about $40. They have to be mounted on the outside of the door panel to fit the back doors.

Dash got a ts-g1043r speaker on each side.

The rear door speakers were blown so it's a nice improvement.

I have the Pioneer rear 4" that I attached to the factory bracket and fit behind the stock grill. They are yours for shipping...

20200110_130955.jpg

I have the Pioneer rear 4" that I attached to the factory bracket and fit behind the stock grill. They are yours for shipping...

That'd save me a step wouldn't it! I wonder what shipping would cost from California to Atlanta,GA.

These fit behind the factory grills on the front then?

Sorry, I didn’t try. I looked for some speakers with very plain grills and the rs-g1645r are plain enough I hit them with matching paint and was very happy with the stockish look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom