Speaker Question 2 way or 3 way (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at doing a speaker upgrade on my 06. My question is does anyone run a 2 channel speaker up front and a 3 channel in the rear? How does it sound? I was going to go with 2ohm 6.5" speakers but was wondering if the 3 channel coaxil set up for the rear would be the best option.

thx.

The stock speakers are separates. If you're looking for the best sound, stay that route. Search around for 6.5" woofers in the door and tweeters up in the little black triangular grills at the front of the door. The stock amp really isn't bad enough to try and hack a way around it. Look for speakers that have a high sensitivity and you should be fine with the stock amp power.

Rear speakers honestly don't add that much to the soundstage in these trucks in my opinion. A good quality 6.5" speaker in the same brand as whatever you have up front is usually all you need. Two-way or three-way speakers will likely have a similar type of tweeter, just mounted on the front of the woofer. Search around a bit to see if there are any depth issues. My 100 already had some nice JL Audio speakers when I bought it, but it's worth doing a little research before you buy something to make sure it will fit behind the door grills.

I believe using the stock amp and stock head unit with 3 way separates, front or rear, won't gain you anything noticeable.
Going that route with a better amp will gain you very big improvements. But I would put them in the front not the rear doors. Rear is always for fill, that's gospel. Plus the labor on the door cards for the gain wouldn't be worth it to me.

The times that I have altered door cards for 3 way separates has always been for fronts, smaller two/four door cars and one or two tahoes. Rear fill cheapies in every install but good enough to handle whatever you want to send them. You want to hear it in your drivers seat, not the rear seat.

The placement of speakers in the LC front door isn't all that great. At ear splitting volume you can't tell so much, but with people in the car and just loud enough that people can talk next to each other you can. It's what I think about every time I drive now.

For the past week or so I've been debating 3 way components for the front door with better placement. Flush mount tweeters, and 4" mids somewhere in the center of the panel, 6.5" drivers in the stock location. But I was trying to stay under $1000 for the whole stereo.

At one point I drove around with just the new door (4) speakers and a JL amp, kenwood deck without the stock sub connected at all. You don't even realize it's gone. It's a waste of space, but plays a part if you're not adding any amp to the system. One little tiny decent amp will render that stock rear sub worthless. Driving four 6.5" with good power hits pretty hard, I bet that's good enough for most. A big amp will fit in the sub's stock location if you toss it. A smaller amp will fit opposite side forward of the rear AC unit behind that panel. A 400/4 JL class D will fit under the passenger front seat, directly rear of the NAV unit. Stereo stuff is my addiction in the used cars I buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom