spark plug removal guide? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

Been searching the threads and can't seem to find a thread includes how to remove a spark plug. Is it simple enough to not need a guide?
  • Step by step guide
  • Recommended tools to make the job easier
  • Recommends parts to replace that are related to the spark plug replacement
Sorry to ask, but I feel like someone has posted about this! Could you kindly point to me in that direction?

THANK YOU

Man, it's SUPER easy with the coil packs. If the plug is on the passenger side of the motor, it's only slightly more complicated because you have to remove the air box. Be careful while doing so, and be sure to take note where all the vacuum lines are attached (so you can re-attach once you're putting it back on). Basically, make SURE to get the right DENSO coil and PLUG (I always replace these together, just my personal choice), Amazon has sweet deals on both and if the Truck is set up in your Amazon "Garage" it will tell you if the part will fit.

Just from memory:

1. Disconnect the Neg Terminal on the battery
2. Disconnect the coil pack electrode for the one you're working on
3. Remove the 10mm bolt holding on the coil pack
4. Just pull out the coil pack (either replace or reuse)
5. with your socket set and extension (the plug is recessed) use the "spark plug socket" and send down the socket until it sets on the plug. You will feel it. The rubber in the plug socket will grab onto the plug snugly.
6. Lefty Loosey.. remove and inspect old plug- looking for oil or other bad condition
7. Prep new plug with the plug grease (to prevent plug from ever sticking in there) or rub a small amount of oil on the threads of the new plug
8. with your HAND holding the extension.. put the new plug in the plug socket and manually feed the extension down into the plug hole. Find the threads with righty-tighty turns (by hand) until you feel the plug smoothly seat into place and stop turning. Attach socket driver to the extension and just give a quarter turn to tighten. I'm not sure of the actual torque specs, but this is what I've always done with no issues.
9. Replace the coil pack in the hole, you'll feel the coil pack nest on top of the new plug and the 10mm bolt arm will align with the hole.
10. Put the 10mm bolt back into place, hand tight.
11. Replace coil pack electrode
12. reattach neg terminal

That's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom