Spare Wheel - Where to stick it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

All my off-roading is in sand dunes with sharp crests. In my FJ I regularly drive along the crest, sliding along on the underbelly of the car. It is not an issue in the FJ because the spare tire is mounted on the back. However, I am a bit worried about the Land Cruiser and knocking off the spare tire.

I would be interested to hear what have you done with the spare wheel?

Have you left it under the car?

Does it get in the way when side cresting or straight cresting?

I would prefer not to mount it on the back? Has anyone mounted it inside the car?

Any tips or advise would be appreciated.

Cheers, Al

Hi All,

All my off-roading is in sand dunes with sharp crests. In my FJ I regularly drive along the crest, sliding along on the underbelly of the car. It is not an issue in the FJ because the spare tire is mounted on the back. However, I am a bit worried about the Land Cruiser and knocking off the spare tire.

I would be interested to hear what have you done with the spare wheel?

Have you left it under the car?

Does it get in the way when side cresting or straight cresting?

I would prefer not to mount it on the back? Has anyone mounted it inside the car?

Any tips or advise would be appreciated.

Cheers, Al

For most here, there is very little sand dune crest riding... but rear bumper mounting of the spare is very common. Are you hoping to avoid bumper mounting for some reason? If not, it seems the natural solution if that worked on your FJ...

Mount the spare on a roof rack?

toyota-land-cruiser-200-roof-rack-full-cargo-rack-foot-rail-mount-front-runner-slimline-ii-KRTL028T-12.jpg

HTH

I am trying to avoid a bumper mount as I don't want to have to move the wheel out of the way every time I open the boot. Also, the LC has a button you push to open and close the boot and I will lose that functionality (not to mention the potential stuff-ups) if I have to swing a wheel out the way first.

I am planning on adding a roof-top tent so that would prevent a wheel on the roof (picture looks cool though!)

I am planning on adding a roof-top tent so that would prevent a wheel on the roof (picture looks cool though!)

You say not underneath...
not on the roof...
not on the rear bumper...

-Looks like you're gonna keep it inside the cargo area...because there are only so many spaces for a full size spare.

I suppose my question really is: can I leave it underneath without it getting damaged or ripped off while driving along sand dunes.

Sorry for being a bit vague!

Yes.

I suppose my question really is: can I leave it underneath without it getting damaged or ripped off while driving along sand dunes.

Sorry for being a bit vague!

That tire will stay put.
-There is a massive metal bar directly behind the spare location that is strong enough to pull 4000 kilos. That tire isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:
If the sand-dune running is a weekly activity - I'm sure you could have a skid plate of-sorts made to smooth out the underside where the spare is. I don't think it would even have to be a super thick gauge material - since you are likely just needing something to prevent the tire from digging into the sand, correct?

Lift your truck

NLScooby, you are correct, it is a weekly activity and I will be getting a skid plate made (or buying an ARB one). Usually the skid plate doesn't go all the way back to the spare tire and it may have to unbolt. I have heard from a couple of other drivers in the club that the spare tire does actually scoop up a lot of sand, especially when coming off a steep decent. Given that it is only held on by a chain, I wouldn't think it would take too much to upset things.

Willy beamin, I am putting on BP-51 suspension which will give a slight lift, but I think the tire will still be an issue.

Sweet!

I've no experience yet in my 200, but I can attest the spare can get lots of sand on top when playing in sand dunes in a 100 with the spare in stock position. However, the sand does not have enough push ability to knock the spare off, IMHO, even when plowing through deep sand.

The photos above of the rack with all the weight on top would be very dangerous in the sand dune running I've done, pretty much guaranteeing a rollover on a steep side ways slope.

I've no experience yet in my 200, but I can attest the spare can get lots of sand on top when playing in sand dunes in a 100 with the spare in stock position. However, the sand does not have enough push ability to knock the spare off, IMHO, even when plowing through deep sand.

The photos above of the rack with all the weight on top would be very dangerous in the sand dune running I've done, pretty much guaranteeing a rollover on a steep side ways slope.

70 lbs on roof is going to cause a rollover.....Risky limits you're running there.

Last edited:
Schlepping a spare on and off of the roof sounds like a recipe for un-fun times and injury.
yeah - that's what I was thinking as well.....(especially with anchors holding my shoulder together!). How do you get that spare up and down without damaging the body - the vehicle and your own!

Given that it is only held on by a chain, I wouldn't think it would take too much to upset things.

I wouldn't worry about it. The chain might be holding it up, but it's backed by multiple frame cross-members that actually do the supporting. The loads on the spare get transferred into the rails rather than the chain.

Land cruisers see tons of time in sand. Just look at how they use these vehicles in the middle east. Just the way you are. I'm sure Toyota has spent significant time validating the platform in those conditions and I wouldn't worry about the spare or skids.

That said, if you insist on doing something, you could potentially get a narrower, less than full size spare, that tucks up higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom