SOR top/tiger channel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You might say I’m a master of procrastination but early in the year I bought a new SOR top and their tiger channel and I am just now getting around to installing it. Honestly I was disappointed when the instructions said to drill into my windshield frame and tub.

Problem I have is that a few of the channel’s holes align with the existing holes in my windshield frame. Frame holes measure .25 inch and the supplied hardware is .125.

Has anyone run into similar issues?

1AD57637-C16A-4F65-9885-6D0314FF604F.jpeg

8700FB2D-C2B7-49D4-A2DF-3B9BB6F2EF23.jpeg

78D674D5-DC79-4979-A86F-55DFCFCD8E64.jpeg

I used the existing WS frame holes. I installed M5 Rivnuts so I can use 5mm machine screws. You probably also noticed you’ll need to trim the tiger channels where they meet in the windshield center. Trim them so the curved ends match the WS corner curves. You will then have to add new holes in the Jeep Channel aka “Tiger Channel” to match the cruiser windshield holes.

Picture of the M5 rivnut I used
0CA4D89C-B5F0-4E3C-8E5F-F899586B7094.jpeg

--

I'm surprised SOR has never had a channel made to fit the seven stock holes on the windshield frame. It was around 65/66 that Toyota dropped the welded channel and install fixed nuts and bolt on channel on all models. It was around 78 Toyota stopped installing the fix nuts in the US since no soft top models were being imported anymore. Possible other markets as well on hard top models. But they still stamped the holes. This means the years the most FJ40s were imported the fixed nuts or at least the holes were in the same location. So calling it a jeep channel is correct since it certainly wasn't designed for the standard hole pattern on a FJ40.

Also, steer clear of “thin head” “low profile” rivnuts. I experimented with them. The lip is quite thin. They don’t have a strong enough bite IMO. At least that was the case for the batch of M5 low profile rivnuts I tested.

I installed the channel on my '76 trail truck many years ago with sheet metal screws. They worked OK for many years, but they do loosen up. I've been wanting to install threaded inserts for a long time, so I recently installed M6 weld nuts from McMaster Carr. Mucho better.

90596A031p1-med-b01-digital-land_635533257530000000.png

That was exactly my thinking when I started looking at the instructions. I did a brief search of the web and decided it was just a jeep kit made to fit.

I'm surprised SOR has never had a channel made to fit the seven stock holes on the windshield frame. It was around 65/66 that Toyota dropped the welded channel and install fixed nuts and bolt on channel on all models. It was around 78 Toyota stopped installing the fix nuts in the US since no soft top models were being imported anymore. Possible other markets as well on hard top models. But they still stamped the holes. This means the years the most FJ40s were imported the fixed nuts or at least the holes were in the same location. So calling it a jeep channel is correct since it certainly wasn't designed for the standard hole pattern on a FJ40.

Went to Harbor Freight this afternoon and picked up a 45 piece rivetnut tool for $21 minus a 20% coupon and also picked up a free multimeter. One my way home I stopped in at Lowes and grabbed the screws and washers for $6. I used 10-24x1 because the inserts that came with the tool were SAE. I rushed into taking measurements and drilling new holes in the Tiger channel so they weren’t pretty. But overall I couldn’t be happier going this route vice the supplied hardware. Tomorrow I will finish it up with the strap anchors the same way.

675E6ED1-4799-4259-836C-B867902370EF.jpeg

B6EA15AD-E830-45F0-BC78-D603D01FA7D8.jpeg

I just installed the same kit. I just spaced the two channels slightly wider then center on the window frame so it would cover up the factory holes. Then I drilled two additional holes close to center to make sure the kit was sturdy (not in picture). The kit came with lots of extra screws so I had two extra for the middle.

Only had it on for a week so far. I did get caught in the rain last week and it sure was nice and dry in the cockpit.

channel.jpg

I just installed the same kit. I just spaced the two channels slightly wider then center on the window frame so it would cover up the factory holes. Then I drilled two additional holes close to center to make sure the kit was sturdy (not in picture). The kit came with lots of extra screws so I had two extra for the middle.

Only had it on for a week so far. I did get caught in the rain last week and it sure was nice and dry in the cockpit.

View attachment 1766349

Appears you have either a 75 or 76. Didn't you have fixed nuts along the top of the windshield frame? If so you chose to drill holes in the windshield frame verse the channel? Personally would trust machine thread bolts over sheet metal screws. FYI the factory originally used hex head bolts not screws for the channel.

Appears you have either a 75 or 76. Didn't you have fixed nuts along the top of the windshield frame? If so you chose to drill holes in the windshield frame verse the channel? Personally would trust machine thread bolts over sheet metal screws. FYI the factory originally used hex head bolts not screws for the channel.

I have no idea how you could tell it was a 75 from that picture but yes it is. I did drill holes and install screws. I don't disagree that bolts are better than screws but for the application I think it will hold up fine. Like one of the previous poster said they don't make a kit to fit the fixed nuts. None of the holes lined up but the ends. I'm not scared to drill some holes in the old girl.

I have no idea how you could tell it was a 75 from that picture but yes it is. I did drill holes and install screws. I don't disagree that bolts are better than screws but for the application I think it will hold up fine. Like one of the previous poster said they don't make a kit to fit the fixed nuts. None of the holes lined up but the ends. I'm not scared to drill some holes in the old girl.

MUD members John (LivinginthePast), Mark, Poser, Thebigredrocker and others have lots of knowledge about these rigs, seeing things in pix that are beyond me—am always glad to have stumbled on this site!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom