Snow wheeling/food- Sat 2/10/24. Sandia to Placitas the back way!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm thinking putting together a shindig and a mild snow wheeling run this coming sat 2/10/24. It just so happens that my daughter turns 18 the next day and I wanted to have a surprise shindig in her honor. As far as she knows, we're just meeting up for a wheeling trip. I'll ask her bestie to invite Isabelle's friends.

I'll bring up charcoal, burgers, brauts+fixings. Feel free to bring whatever you like but we should have most things.

If we get there first, we can grab the group picnic shelter and bunch of tables at the Balsam Glade group picnic area. Otherwise there are plenty of outdoor grills next to tables throughout the picnic grounds.

Afterwards, we can head down to Placitas or go play on top of Sandias, or whatever. The group can breakup and do whatever they feel like. I can take folks down to Placitas then we can part ways.

Please bring snowshoes, snowboots, etc if you wanna play around the area. There is a lot of snow up there so bring your recovery gear!! We might be pulling folks out of trouble as we head down FR165 to Placitas.

Time: 11am
Location: Balsam Glade Group Picnic Site · Sandia Park, NM 87047 - https://maps.app.goo.gl/px4mKpQAvYpFQDpV7

Please let me know if you can make it. If the weather turns to absolute crap, we'll have to pivot.

Last edited:
I'm thinking putting together a barbeque and a mild snow wheeling run this coming sat 2/10/24. It just so happens that my daughter turns 18 the next day and I wanted to have a surprise shindig in her honor. As far as she knows, we're just meeting up for a wheeling trip. I'll ask her bestie to invite Isabelle's friends.

I'll bring up charcoal, burgers, brauts+fixings. Feel free to bring whatever you like but we should have most things.

If we get there first, we can grab the group picnic shelter and bunch of tables at the Balsam Glade group picnic area. Otherwise there are plenty of outdoor grills next to tables throughout the picnic grounds.

Afterwards, we can head down to Placitas or go play on top of Sandias, or whatever. The group can breakup and do whatever they feel like. I can take folks down to Placitas then we can part ways.

Please bring snowshoes, snowboots, etc if you wanna play around the area. There is a lot of snow up there so bring your recovery gear!! We might be pulling folks out of trouble as we head down FR165 to Placitas.

Time: 11am
Location: Balsam Glade Group Picnic Site · Sandia Park, NM 87047 - https://maps.app.goo.gl/px4mKpQAvYpFQDpV7

Please let me know if you can make it. If the weather turns to absolute crap, we'll have to pivot.
I'm going to plan on being there, I'll keep you posted Ali!

Sounds fun, have a great time

I might run up that way just to say hi.

Edit:
I think we can make it up for the bbq, but not the snow play. We might be late so please text, update this thread, and/or have a radio handy

I *think* cell works up there but never actually tried it but I'll keep the radio on 146.400. Good idea on the radio.

I might run up that way just to say hi.
Bring Jack if he's available. I haven't seen him for a spell and his 2nd gen 4runner.

Last edited:
Cell does in fact work up at the Group picnic site.

The ski resort is opening tomorrow, so expect people getting stuck on the hwy!! It's still full of hard packed/slick snow. Bring your 4x4s!!

Here're some more directions:
Turn right after this sign:
1707509218714.png

Then, turn left and look for this sign. Go past this sign 30' and you'll see a smaller parking lot. This is the same trail that takes to Placitas, AKA "the fun way to Placitas".

1707509270140.png

That's where we'll be:

1707509323265.png

No fire pits that I saw but there should be at least one propane fire pit there.

I will be there!

6am update:

no snow overnight but it has started to lightly snow at 6:30. The ski resort is opening today so there'll be traffic.

Please show up at 11 or earlier and the bday girl is showing up at 11:30. There'll be food/refreshments.

It's going to be a great day, even if there's storm. There'll be a damn party, come hell or high water :rofl:

Last edited:
I may or may not make it. I am waiting on a load of firewood to be delivered.

Head count:

Larry
Dillion
Justin
David & Joey
Ali & Johanna
Christian - from work, maybe
Jessica, Devin - from work, maybe
Virgil, maybe
Isabelle, Lucas the BF. @pappy, you ain't be there to grill the poor boy. But, @demoj will take your place!

Samiches and all the fixings instead of barbecue

Great party Ali!
How was the snow run? Did you rescue the Audi we saw headed down? How many others?

Holy cucaracha dude, that audi was the ONLY vehicle that did NOT need to be rescued. He got smart and turned back around. It was a veritable $hit show all the way down the mountain and it was a super blast. There were so many instances of Darwinism that it was purely comical at every turn. We loved it. I know Dillion has pics to share.

Thanks to everyone for showing up to Isabelle's bday party yesterday. That was a memorable party and a blizzard only made it more fun, well at least for me anyway!!!
1707661989990.png
1707662010253.png
1707661962914.png
1707661975458.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom