Snorkles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
20240217_160303.jpg
Angie and I were less than excited that our newly-acquired LX 470 had a snorkel installed by the previous owner.
I'm sure they have ligit function: deep water crossings and getting the intake above some level of dust... but I suspect their main deal is to look cool and indicate the status of their driver as an Overlander. Kind of a cliché which our rig already screams with all the other bolted-on accessories.
Don't ever intend to cross any water deep enough for the snorkel to be necessary, but we do, of course, get into the dust. Given that there is no removing the thing considering the rather large hole it was leave in the fender I might as well maximize its dust function.

All this to ask:
Would it be worth the trouble of installing a pre filter on top of the snorkel?

Check out these guys:

In NM it's a good idea to run a pre-filter di yo the dust. It will help keep the airfilter clean.

Yes. I’m from up north. Northern gravel highways are high speed dust bowls and snorkel can definitely help your engine.
Prefilters do work. I don’t have one but that’s just because northern willows make oak trees look feeble and they would basically just be t-ball debris I’d have to go back and look for. In open desert get a prefilter but realize it won’t make you not change your air filter less often it will just be in better shape when you do.

The prefilter on my snorkle does keep my air cleaner cleaner. We live on a dirt road, and a lot of the driving I do is on dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom