Snake identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Living in the Past

SILVER Star
Threads
Had this one show up our backyard Friday. Wife came home from a meeting to find this in the dog's yard. When I tried to move it out of the yard it turned and hissed at me. Figure it was about five feet long.
IMG_3046.JPG
IMG_3042.JPG
IMG_3043.JPG
Moved off in to some rocks. Little while later it was back in the yard. My guess it was looking for this guy.

IMG_3041.JPG

Our dogs alerted to the bunny. Put up barriers to keep the dogs away. After a few days it was obvious mom had abandoned it. Just that morning we moved it into a crate but guessing the snake could still sense the bunny. Amazed how much the bunny grow in a week. It was released today a ways away from the dogs so things are back to normal. Still bothered by the aggressive snake. Only other snake we've seen around the cabin was this guy a couple of summers ago and I it wanted to do was get away.
IMG_2345.JPG

Thank you, a neighbor I was talking to when it showed up a second time said it wasn't a Gophersnake. Knew it wasn't a rattlesnake. Looking on the web came up with glossy snake but never hear anyone mention seeing them in AZ. Another person in the area seen one climbing a tree trying to get to a nest. Wasn't sure if the Tinder Fire which was less than a mile away is causing a increase in activity.

This is our resident snake with a bad attitude:

gnjNcKzeLtzVdhw-800x450-noPad.jpg

Lake Erie water snake. Was almost extinct (on the endangered species list), until a foreign freighter dumped it's bilge and the Round Goby was released.

Mike Rowe in 'Dirty Jobs' did a segment on them:

Sorry for the Hijack.....

Your snake in original picture is alternately called gopher snake or bull snake--same thing.

Snakes are okay, unless they have an attitude....

That's my thought as well but even if have a attitude don' kill them. This one convinced to move on. He went under a pallet with some tires on it and never seen him again. Figure one he was sure there was no bunny around he went searching else for a meal.

Your snake in original picture is alternately called gopher snake or bull snake--same thing.

Believe it was in the eighties was working on a A/C condenser on a home in Tatum Canyon. Moved away and two snakes I believe we're Bull snakes came out from underneath. Swear they we're 7' and 8' long. This was a old home with old Trane A/Cs. To remove the service panel take to screws out of the bottom then pull it out a little. Then grab it and pull it down. Had already done that and was a little freaked out to have two large snakes come out right after that. Not a fan of snakes.

Be careful around them; Western Diamondback rattlesnakes have a hemotoxin in this part of the state (neurotoxin in some Southern counties), and a wet bite is typically about $150k-$180k for full medical treatment and physical therapy to restore your health. They're the most common venomous snake bites in the state, because there are so many of them.

I used to work with a guy named John Hennessey that ran the Phoenix venomous snake program as a ER doc. He had a collection of venomous snakes in his garage, and started the anti-venin program through his research. I don't mess with snakes, but this one was too close to my house to leave him out there as a danger to my dog and the rest of the community;

24boqwz.jpg

They make better hatbands than neighbors. I also cleaned it and made an acceptable stew out of what little meat there is in a 3' snake...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom