SM465 Compatability Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a 10-Spline 465 tranny with the output shaft drilled and tapped, but, discovered a huge crack in the case. I can't seem to source a 4WD tranny locally for a decent price, but have found a couple of 2WD units.

Is the case from a 2WD SM465 compatiable with the 4WD gears and shafts? In other words, can I buy a 2WD tranny and tranfer the gears and shafts from my damaged 4WD???

All help is appreciated, I really want to get this project moving! Also, if you have a PLATE adapter you want to sell, drop me a PM - I have a post on the "wanted" class ads, but no luck yet.
DSC01466_(Custom) (Large).jpg

If that is all there is tothat particular crack, I wouldn't worry about it.

The rust is a little suspicious, because it may indicate poor storage and rust inside.

So is there any confirmation about swapping the 4WD 10-spline shaft into the 2WD donor case?

Pinhead, you did se the fingernail size chunk missing from the o/p shaft area didn't you?

The cases are the same.

Some cases have pieces that big machined out of the case to make it easy to pull the bearings with a 2 jaw puller.

X3 just rebuilt mine. Had similar opening although a bit more square. Recommend performing a tear down and carefully inspect what you are starting with. If the interior looks like the pic then maybe look for a better internals doner! Shoots a used 465 is going for around $200.00 & up plus freight. A master rebuild kit is around the same price. THIS INCLUDES NO GEARING.

2nd req: Purchase the snap ring eliminator kit (or make one yourself) for the 3rd & 4rth gear counter shaft. It's a cheap preventative measure that is only economical if done as part of an overhaul.

A couple sources: Novak; Aneheim Gear; there are others.

Thanks guys. Y'all think that chunk has been intentionally removed then? Is it high enough that it won't leak at that spot? New to 465's, and I just thought that looked like a huge issue.

I am going to tear it down. If I get the 2WD unit, I'll use only the drilled/tapped shaft from this one, and do a full rebuild. I will be adding the 3rd gear spacer/snapring eliminator.

Thanks!

Thanks guys. Y'all think that chunk has been intentionally removed then? Is it high enough that it won't leak at that spot? New to 465's, and I just thought that looked like a huge issue.

I am going to tear it down. If I get the 2WD unit, I'll use only the drilled/tapped shaft from this one, and do a full rebuild. I will be adding the 3rd gear spacer/snapring eliminator.

Thanks!

Mine also has a hole there. Same place, same size.

I did a careful inspection of mine yesterday, especially the questionable snap rings. Everything looked good so I think I’m going to hold off on the overhaul. I’m very quickly running out of time and money. Hopefully it won’t come around and bite me in the ass. The guy I bought it from assured me it was a good tranny. Now I’m trying to figure out how to drill and tap the rear output.

Let use know which rebuild kit you use. I was going with Novaks. It was a little pricier but some of the other kits I looked at didn’t seem to have everything.:beer:

Depending on condition, you guys may or may not want to replace the sintered iron sleeves on the mainshaft. They're not included in rebuild kits. Also, the splined hub on the 1st gear of my '69 sm465 was isolated from the gear by a rubber vibration dampener that was worn out. I had to replace the gear with a solid version - the dampened gear was not available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom