Sliders - pop out or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been researching sliders this past week and would like to get some new information from the 100 community.

Pop out sliders or not? I've settled on tube sliders not steps. There are a few references to reasons for pop out vs. not but I couldn't find a thread for it plus with more time under the belt of everyone over the years now maybe there is more information? I found a thread on tube vs. step but that kind of spiraled into a group buy (below) but not specifically this. I'm leaning towards the clean lines of NOT but do like the arguments/points raised for having them. I anticipate harder and harder wheeling over time, FYI.

Specific stories or pictures?

Thanks in advance.
rjones

Found this:
Sliders: Tucked or Step style

what do you mean by pop out? i'm really confused by the terminology here, so my response may sound more retarded than normal. lol

when you say that i think of the servo operated ones that pop out from the frame to become steps when you open the doors... never seen these made from round tube, only box tube....

do you mean w/ kick outs? where it has a portion of the slider extending from the body of the truck a bit?

or

do you mean ones that simply stick out from the frame/body rather than tucked underneath the rig?

personally, i prefer the ones with a kickout and that stick out from the body/frame of the truck, these are good for bouncing off trees and rocks on tight trails and WILL save you dented panels and door sills...which can suck to fix or replace...beyond that the tucked style are often not all the way tucked in and really serve no purpose other than getting your clothes dirty when your out running errands and grabbing groceries, to me the tucked style offers no advantages, only disadvantages and would only be chosen if the aesthetics of a normal/typical slider is so abhorrent to you that there's no other way to go....personally, i think the normal sliders that stick out from the truck look great and better than simply having nothing there, which is the look the tucked sliders are going for....i know it sounds dorky but if i'm removing the running boards to put on sliders, i want people to know i have sliders, it's part of the aesthetic of a built offroad looking rig, if i actually manage to get to the point of my 100 series being 100% completed it'd just "look" naked/incomplete to me if you couldn't see the sliders...just doesn't look as mean to me and looks off without the sliders sticking out from the body a bit..

as for the servo operated ones that actually pop-out, not a fan of those really, though i have no actual experience with them and didn't even know they made them for our trucks....just don't like the idea of moving components on a part that's meant to take that much abuse and that is exposed to all sorts of nastiness....

a bit of a ramble there, and not quite sure i'm talking about what you are talking about, but there's my half a penny anyways... i like your average run of the mill sliders that have kickouts or tabs that protect the rear quarter panel, both for looks and for the advantages.

if you want anymore worthless opinions, i'm here all day. lol

Yeah I'm referring to the kick outs but I've since talked to a few manufacturers directly since this thread didn't spark any interest.

Any way to delete/close this?

rj

If you are going to wheel the truck you want kick outs. They are a nice pivot point and can help protect the rear quarters.

I had the Slee step sliders. They have "kick outs" and where fantastic for tight trails. More than once they where used on trees to make a turn.

I am a fan of Bump It's products. Mike is a great guy and will pretty much build you anything you want plus his products are very stout and well made. If you are wondering how those "pop outs" can save you take a look at the video from his website (they test their stuff :) ).

100 Series Products - Toyota Off-Road 4WD SUV

edit: for clarification....I have no connection with this company, I just believe in what Mike builds and have recieved amazing service from him in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom