Sleeping Platforms w/o removing backseat? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, this is my first time posting in the Expedition section of MUD, and while I don't plan to be doing anything more serious than family camping, the stuff you guys do is really inspiring.

I've tried the search and found a few things, but not what I was looking for.

What I'm looking for is what you've done to create a sleeping platform in back of a 60 series without removing the backseat.

My 62 is a daily driver, and with two kids the back seat holds precedence over removing the seat for an easier/more permanent set up. I like the idea of having a permanent drawer system/platform in the cargo area, and then something that allows that platform to remain flat when the seat is in the down position which would allow a foam mattress or small blow up mattress in the back.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I've been thinking about something similar myself. What makes the most sense, in my mind, is having the drawers/platform go up to the level of the rear wheel wells, so you have something closer to a rectangular space when the seat is folded down.

Then, you'd have a piece, connected by hinges, that would fold out and cover the area over the folded down back seat.

Here's a crudely drawn schematic I just made:
rearcargo.gif

I've been thinking about something similar myself. What makes the most sense, in my mind, is having the drawers/platform go up to the level of the rear wheel wells, so you have something closer to a rectangular space when the seat is folded down.

Then, you'd have a piece, connected by hinges, that would fold out and cover the area over the folded down back seat.

Here's a crudely drawn schematic I just made:

It's awesome that you drew that out that way. I actually was having similar thoughts but wanted to see what others had done. I also had an idea as to how to try to use the space on that fold down piece. I took your lead and drew up an even worse drawing (thank you MS Paint) of how it'd work.

The only difference would be to have a second set of drawers/small boxes be what holds that half up when folded down for a sleeping platform.

The issue then would be finding the right cargo to go in those drawers that could either be soft enough to fill that space in those "upper drawers" or something that could move around without too much worry (plastic utensils, cups, plates, etc).

Let me know what you think.
drawers.jpg

What kind rear seats are those? Non-US split seats from a 60 series, or something else? They're cool.

EDIT: saw that it's an 80. Derp. Looks more like a 60-series than I remember.

Any chance you show how the front is supported ???

thanks,

The front sections simply rest on top of the folded down 2nd row.
cruiserbed_10.jpg

Nice! I like that there is more useable space where that second row seat was removed (looks like it can all be reconfigured to include that seat) and under platform space is available, too.

2nd rows seats were never removed to build and install and do not need to be removed to utilize full sleeping area; just fold them down. Like OP, I wanted a sleeping platform, but removal of 2nd row was not an option as I have kids...

I used to sleep in the back behind the 2nd row, between the wheel wells, with my feet extended out on the lowered tailgate. This acutally worked great for many years.

This current setup has several advantages:

much more space side to side (above the wheel wells)
I can completely close the tail and lift gates
the platform makes a nice space underneath for keeping valuables out of site
heavy items under platform (like my tool box) are now isolated and will not cause damage in an accident
setup is lighter than full drawer system and much easier to construct.
setup has proven to be 100% silent - no squeaks, rattles, etc...

Disadvantates as well:

I'm closer to the roof, a thin matress/pad is key
Items stored underneath and towards back are harder to access compared to a full pull out drawer. That's where I put the tool box because I always hope it won't be needed.
I'm sure there are more....I've only actually used this setup once, and my wife and daughter slept in there.

Last edited:
2nd rows seats were never removed to build and install and do not need to be removed to utilize full sleeping area; just fold them down. Like OP, I wanted a sleeping platform, but removal of 2nd row was not an option as I have kids...

Got it, thanks! I see that now in the recent pics, nice detail.

Same here, though we just have one snapper. The ultimate (in my mind) for us would be a platform that would work with a complete, folded forward, or half-removed second row, depending on how many travelers and type of trip.

this is really cool. I love the simplicity/functionality of it all w/o having to do too much mod or loose too much space

I thought with the 60's that when the rear seats are folded down, they are level with the cargo area, unlike the 80's.
That is correct, however the wheel wells reduce the available area considerably. To maximize the sleeping area you need to make a platform above the wheel wells.

Reminds me of the good old time when we went all over Baja with a 70 series. We had a platform that extended out of the truck to the rear and folded together. Was pretty nice to sleep, but not great to set up.
cheers,
Jan
platform.jpg

Jan-78FJ40 said:
Reminds me of the good old time when we went all over Baja with a 70 series. We had a platform that extended out of the truck to the rear and folded together. Was pretty nice to sleep, but not great to set up.
cheers,
Jan

I really like the tent off the back. Seems like it'd be nice if it's warm enough to be able to leave the tailgate down for extra space/fresh air.

This is my 60 setup, a very simple piece of wood with two folding supports, Holes in wood allow easy tiedown to roof rack.

Step by step photos:

IMG_2698.jpg
IMG_2699.jpg
IMG_2700.jpg

Pull out headrest and stick under part folded seat to make level, you still get storage room behind front seats! I have another one for the other side to allow two people to sleep...
IMG_2701.jpg
IMG_2702.jpg

Huh. The rear split seats fold differently than the bench seats we got in stateside FJ60s. Looks more practical for, say, carrying long things when you've got three people riding in the cruiser, but not as practical for fitting sheer bulk in the back when you don't need rear seat space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom