Sleeping in FJ Cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Three in a row, shoulda researched and put all three together. Reading thru Steve's post again and he is 6'4". So it looks like the FJ can be a perfect sleeping environment for someone of your size and stature :)

Reading thru Steve's post again and he is 6'4". So it looks like the FJ can be a perfect sleeping environment for someone of your size and stature :)

Yep, if it's big enough for me, you should be able to throw a slumber party in the back with yours. :)

BoxBuild20.jpg

BoxBuild19.jpg

BoxBuild22.jpg

I built my sleeper/sorage system in my fj and me, my girlfreind and my dog slept in it all the way to ouray CO from upstate NY for the fj summit.

And, I'll vouche for that!! If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the Ouray Best Western the first hotel you guys finally got around to staying in for nearly two weeks??

BTW, how ya guys doin'?? Y'all coming to the Summit next year??

anyone have experience with sleeping in the FJ with using just an air mattress? see me and a friend of mine are going up to kaaterskill falls, she's thinking we should drive there friday night, sleep in the FJ, wake up and go hike- anyone try this?

anyone have experience with sleeping in the FJ with using just an air mattress? see me and a friend of mine are going up to kaaterskill falls, she's thinking we should drive there friday night, sleep in the FJ, wake up and go hike- anyone try this?

I did it once, but didn't have anyone else with me. It wasn't the most comfortable place I've ever slept, but it worked ok.

I had to remove the bottom cushions on the rear seats, and push the front seats forward. The problem at that point is you have a big hole to either put your head in or your feet in. If you put your feet in it, your head ends up at the bottom of a decline causing your blood to head that way; unless you park on a decline.

If my wife had been with me, I think it wouldn't have been comfortable at all, because I ended up sleeping in a somewhat diagonal position. If you don't mind getting close to the other person, and you're both somewhat short it might work ok.

mm....see i'm 5'8", but i weigh about 200lbs, but lets just say i'm built like sylvester stallone and not like jabba the hut. (i was johnny bravo for halloween last year, no one had to ask me who i was.) she is 5'5", i guess we'll just have to get close?(which isn't a problem) or put an aids load of pillows up near the head area, sleep diagnol, etc. mm, park on a decline... anyone familar with the kaaterskill parking situation? i wonder if they have declines in the parking lot there.

thanks for the help so far though!

Make your own bed

I am 6' and we are able to fit an Ikea matress and sleep in our 97 FJ no problem. check out the pic. With this method you can use the back seats for a vertical brace and fold up the seats when you need to for your kids. If you want more pics let me know.
IMG_2583.jpg

There is a thread on here somewhere that someone did some capentry to add drawers and a storage area where the back seat used to be...I digress, in any case I think he is 6'2" or 6'4" and sleeps in the back just fine. It will fit a queen size air bed in the back with the seats all the way forward and some hight added to the floor area to level it out. Wow I should have waited for refresh before I typed...

LandCruiserSteve,

This is cool! Does the middle box open? Hinged? Is it made from 3/4"plywood? Can it be easily removed? I'd love to build one for my Black Cherry 07.

Woodeye

Wow. There are some pretty amazing mods here. But, I am a newbie, going on my first organized weekend-long trail ride (with Yankee Toys) and am wondering if anyone has been happy with the "cheap" blow up mattress alternative?

I am going north, in Oct., and I'm thinking my FJ might be cozier than a tent (given I am only 5'8").

Okay - here is a newbie/stupid question: how does one pop the back door open from the inside? As far as I can tell - no can do --- but is that right?

Last edited:
Wow. There are some pretty amazing mods here. But, I am a newbie, going on my first organized weekend-long trail ride (with Toyota Toys) and am wondering if anyone has been happy with the "cheap" blow up mattress alternative?

I am going north, in Oct., and I'm thinking my FJ might be cozier than a tent (given I am only 5'8").

Okay - here is a newbie/stupid question: how does one pop the back door open from the inside? As far as I can tell - no can do --- but is that right?

search for the rear window hack were you add a switch to release the rear door glass the same way the key does and then you reach over to open it.

I gave up on sleeping in the FJ i just got a one man backpacking tent that fits behind the seat

I have been thinking about sleeping in the FJ and I really like what people have come up with on here.
I mainly want to do this cuz my club does a winter run every year and I was thinking about heading out one of these times but I do not want to spend the money on winter camping gear.. SO I reall ylike what people have done here..

I'm new to this site, and am not too familiar with how this forum works, or how old this post is, but seeing if I can be any help.
I've seen tents specifically designed to fit the top (roof) of the FJ Cruiser. I can't recall who makes it, or what it was called, but I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to find.
I'm 5'9", and have slept quite comfortably in the back of my FJ, with the rear seats down. I've also been able to take quite comfortable naps, my simply reclining the driver seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom