Skid Plate recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any skid plate recommendations for a 2015 GX460 for light off roading?

So far I've looked at Bud Built, Shockworks, RCI, and ARB. ARB is the cheapest but some people have reported them being too flimsy and denting. Not sure if it's due to the material or design. Bud built seems like a good plate but they don't have anything specific for the GX.

Seems like ones for a 5th gen 4runner fit for the most part, but I wanted to be sure if there were any clearence issues specific to the GX460. I'm leaning torwards RCI due to the fact they have the maintenance cover for oil changes, I'd rather not have to remove it every time I change oil.

The RCIs work great, with choosing the right combination of plates and making a very minor modification to one. A write-up is in the following thread: Builds - His and Her GX 460 Builds

The oil filter location may be accessed from the RCI panel on the 460. The filter is higher up and rotated in comparison to the T4R, but it is horizontally and longitudinally located in the same place and can be accessed through the RCI access panel in the front skid without having to remove the skid (one hand only though). It is tight but doable.

That being said, if BudBuilt has created a 460-specific solution you can't go wrong with Bud's work - it is top-notch as well. I have his rear diff skid on my 460 and couldn't be happier with it. Very solid and works with KDSS without interference.

Thanks for the help. The GX is new to me, so I'm still learning what parts interchange. Most of the companies don't list a specific plate for the GX, some of them just cross reference the 5th gen 4runner plates. I've see a few people install them on the GX, but not always specific to my year, so I'm not positive if things will fit.

Are you certain RCI is lined up for oil filter?

4R oil filter is not in same location as 460

That's a good point I didn't think of. I forgot they have different engines.

The RCIs work great, with choosing the right combination of plates and making a very minor modification to one. A write-up is in the following thread: Builds - His and Her GX 460 Builds

The oil filter location may be accessed from the RCI panel on the 460. The filter is higher up and rotated in comparison to the T4R, but it is horizontally and longitudinally located in the same place and can be accessed through the RCI access panel in the front skid without having to remove the skid (one hand only though). It is tight but doable.

That being said, if BudBuilt has created a 460-specific solution you can't go wrong with Bud's work - it is top-notch as well. I have his rear diff skid on my 460 and couldn't be happier with it. Very solid and works with KDSS without interference.

I contacted BudBuilt and i'll see what they recommend. I originally wanted the full set of 1/8", but the ARB is also 1/8" and people have been saying they dent very easily. Don't really want to add to much weight to an already heavy vehicle, but the weight is probably the reason it needs a heavy plate. I think after reading your thread I'll probably go with RCI.

[EDIT] Immediately after posting I got a response from Budbuilt. They are working on GX460 specific skids at the end of the month, so I'll wait to see what they come up with.

I am watching your thread closely. I am headed in the same direction with my vehicle, but on a budget. I just finished a drawer and slide out last week on mine. It's not finished yet, I had to throw something together really quickly in time for Labor day, I'll have to go back and refine it.

IMG_2117.JPG
IMG_2132.JPG
IMG_2563.JPG

Last edited:
Did you go with the 1/8" or 3/16"? I probably only need the 1/8" and don't want the extra weight, but the thicker budbuilt skids are the same price so it's tempting to get them just because.

With the RCI skid plates you have the option of aluminum and since you're planning on only light off road use, the aluminum under carriage protection would be lighter and still considerably more protection than stock. That's what I'm bolting on mine and although I don't plan on doing any boldering, I do plan on some serious off roading. :clap:

I thought about aluminum but I wasn't sure if it might be too soft. The desert areas are very rocky, so aluminum might be "stickier" sliding over rocks and stuff. Not that I'm planning on doing hard core rock crawling, but 1/8" steel might perform better for slightly more weight. I have no experience to back that up either way, so I'm open to any option at this point.

I just finished the install on a full set of RCI’s myslef. Had one mishap in ordering the wrong trans skid but they took the return and sent the correct one no issue. Did have to do tweaking on the transfer skid though. Went with steel and no complaints so far.

If I were prep'ing for rock crawling or more aggressive wheeling I'd go with Delrin sliders. Very impact resistant and slick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom