Ski Rack on an ARB Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TomH

SILVER Star
Threads
My wife has decided to do some skiing this year so I'm looking for a way to carry the skis on my ARB 3/4 roof rack. Probably needs to be able to handle at least 4 pairs of skis and be easily accessible to my wife.

Anybody do something like this with the ARB. If I can't come up with something I'll have to take the rack off and I really don't want to do that.

Thanks for any suggestions

Tom

Quickfists for each set of skis? could later be used for tools... :hmm:

Get one of those enclosed plastic roof storage jammis...you can find them on craigslist all the time for 1/2 price...fasten thaat to the roof rack.

I've done it on my INTI rack. I use what Yakima now calls a Rail Grab. Mounts that'll grab just about any side rail, two of their round bars and any of their ski racks and you are good to go. Works great. A little high with both the INTI and the Yakima rack, but no big issue. Sorry, no pics.

I think the Rail Grab is exactly what I need. Pretty much decided what I need to do is find a way to attach some Thule or Yakima cross bars to the ARB and then I can use any ski rack that fits. The problem with this is I'm cheap, so the Rail Grab is low on my list because of price. What I need is a clamp the mounts to the ARB rail and then mounts the cross bar at 90 degrees. I've considered bailing wire but that may be a little too redneck for me.

Something like this:
pipebracket.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I quit being cheap - kind of. I picked up a set of Yakima CrossTop towers, which are one or two generations older than the RailGrab, and a ski rack from Craigslist. Then I had the towers keyed since they didn't come with a key. I used the bars from the rack on my truck and for about $100 I'm set up.

Well, I quit being cheap - kind of. I picked up a set of Yakima CrossTop towers, which are one or two generations older than the RailGrab, and a ski rack from Craigslist. Then I had the towers keyed since they didn't come with a key. I used the bars from the rack on my truck and for about $100 I'm set up.

Nice finds!

There is something like that on some racks I found on the ECR website. It is likely they made them in house.

NAS Defender 110 Station Wagon by ECR

I was looking for something similar to attach to a yet to be purchased rack. Have my eyes on the Baja racks because of the lower price point. Love the ARB though.

INTI RACK

If you need an Inti Rack, just let me know.

Will do on the INTI. Garvin makes the Wilderness racks and offers a bracket to add Thule or Yakima cross bars.

Garvin Industries

Haven't seen their racks in person so have no opinion on them. bracket looks like it would work for a 4" or 6" rack height. May work on others besides the Garvin. My rack purchase is on the shelf for a while. I use four clamp on brackets I picked up for $50 and some 2x4s to haul my two canoes around. Would like to upgrade to a better rack some day so I can throw gear up on the roof under the canoes.

Bumping this ancient thread for updated advice..
My LX470 has a knock-off ARB safari rack. I've been putting my skis inside the rig up till now with a seat down but a big family trip is coming up and I'll need to get two or three pairs up top to haul everyone inside. My 184-length skis fit nearly perfectly in the dimensions of the rack (see photo).
Want to keep this cheap but safe... (no skis lost on the side of the highway).
Thinking of either compression straps or mounting a couple sets of Quickfists to the rack and using a small bike/gun lock to lock them through the binding brakes.
Railgrabs seems to be no longer made. I have an enclosed ski box but I don't think there's any way to make it fit (has anyone done this with a Yakima Rocketbox?)
Any other options people are using? Advice? I'm aware that they'll get dirty up there... but this is a one-off trip and I'll risk it.

Few years ago I bolted some rectangular aluminum tube to the top rail of the ARB and installed the Thule on the tubes.

Here's a picture of what I did.
20190121_173305.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom