Since the 3FE is slow, why no aftermarket support? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been there long ago, with both my FJ-60 2F and later with my FJ-62 with 3F. This motors on a lighter FJ-70 rock but on the heavier wagons never were fast.

Even after a boost limit of 6 pounds on my turbocharged FJ-60, rings were blown after less than 10k miles. It was an animal but unfortunately didn´t last much.

Did some light mod on my 3F FJ-62 but again I was quite dissapointed.

There is nothing better than increased cubic inches and a lot of more torque available to pamper such a heavy baby as the FJ-80.

If it were mine and the 3FE have a lot of miles on it, I would replace it with a standard or stroked chevy 350 without any hesitation. ( I still remember the nice feeling of my FJ-40 chevy 350 equiped).

Or just keep it under Toyota brand and would look for a FZJ engine with low milleage.

On my younger days I had a Malibu Laguna with a maxed LT-1 with more than 400 hp and a BM modified auto transmission with a 3500 rpm stall torque converter and believe me, it was a nightmare on trafic. One day I got tired and replaced it with a stock 454 LS-5 bigblock motor and a stock turbo 400 transmission ...... and that was the first day I started to enjoy my car with humongous amount of torque, a minimum you could barely feel, a rocking start no matter how fat were the tires and zero problems like I had with the high lift camshaft etc. that the older massaged small block motor had.

In short, a stock motor will give you years of peace of mind and will have less items to break.

Just my grain of salt

Last edited:
i love cruising slow in the old wagon.:D she turns heads around here.slow vs fast off road.when you can crawl slow you tend to brake less s***.these old motors are designed for lasting longer add a bunch of horsepower s*** starts braking:beer:

Spend your coin on 5.29's and eventually a low range reduction. A few placebo mods aren't gonna do a whole lot when you are on 38's (I think?). I'd be supercharging a 1ZFE to turn those kind of meats on a regular basis and I'd still want the lowest gearing I could find. Upgrading driveshafts, axle shafts, diffs, and birfs is then just part of the game for going big.

Think C R A W L E R :D

Oh yea, I'm past hot-rodding this thing other than a few tweaks here and there (exhaust, MAF, timing, maybe bored out throttle body). With the 38" Military meats I'm getting, beefy is on the brain, not speed.

Did'nt read all the post.

Don't have to (or the time)

Save you some time here with this little gem.

IT HAS ONLY 4 MAIN BEARINGS!!!!!!!!.......wich should have been covered to you in 3FE 101

AKA, There is no bottom end in this motor to support many engine mods.

Every Toyota I6 up to the 1FZ has only 4 main bearings.

IH8W8

Last edited:

IT HAS ONLY 4 MAIN BEARINGS.......wich should have been covered to you in 3FE 101

IH8W8
whats wrong with the 4 bolt main:confused:

IT HAS ONLY 4 MAIN BEARINGS.......wich should have been covered to you in 3FE 101

IH8W8

There are mods to improve that too:D

i love cruising slow in the old wagon.:D she turns heads around here.slow vs fast off road.when you can crawl slow you tend to brake less ****.these old motors are designed for lasting longer add a bunch of horsepower **** starts braking:beer:

And enjoy the view :)

If you drive fast, you have to focus only on the road in front of you !!!!

Also driving very fast is not good for your lady friend if she is not wearing a bra.:D

Last edited:
The issue has really been settled, it kinda takes reading to figure it out. IDK why matt dug it up.

I just found this thread myself. The issue may have been talked about by some folks who had a clue and some who didn't, but this thread certainly settles nothing. Be careful from drawing conclusions based on internet opinion as opposed to hands on reality.

Mark...

It settled the question of why there isn't any aftermarket support. IE bolt on turbo/SC, performance exhaust, etc

As to what should be done to get more power? The sky is the limit, since other than the electronics, this motor is pretty standard and almost all of the basic hot-rod tweaks that shops know of will work.

EAAKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^

now I have one :doh:

Some one please tell me that 9.1:1 c/r doesent require hightest fuel?

I hear people saying adjust the timing in a stock rig and I think it can (or cant) be done with high(er) commpression pistons, is it:

Motor?
Ignition?
Head?
EFI?
Knock sensor?

What makes you have to go to high test for 9.1:1 c/r?

I cannot delieve this, I think our fuel is higher quality and an Australian company is not considering this in its sales pitch. :confused:

Help a Brotha out! I'm :confused:

instead of "why no support" why not "3fe modifications" am I the only one that thinks this stuff is TOP SECRET?

Every body wants to know nobody wants to tell?

For cryin out loud a mini only has 3 main bearings and I know they can get more power out of that thing than a stock 3fe has.

I'm all over this like Scoobie doobie doo. ow,owoo

Last edited:
A little off topic (2F vs 3FE) but something that I've always been interested in but that no one (at least that I've seen) has been able to give an informed answer to is why the 2F is consider to have a "stronger" bottom end than the 3FE? They are both 2 bolt 4 main bearing assemblies but I frequently hear that the 3FE is "weaker" in the bottom end and that the 2F is more suited for force induction than the 3FE. I don't consider either of them to have very substantial bottom ends but as far as I know I'd consider them pretty equal. Anyone have a solid reason for this claim? ...

...They are basically the same thing, I dont think either is neccesarily weaker than the other. The main difference between the two is the stroke length. The 3fe has a shorter stroke to rev faster...

There are some differences in how the thrust bearing rides. I have never really seen any 2F with major crank issues except for bearings and maybe some slight warpage. The 3FE seems to suffer from the crank warping quite often and tears the bottom end all up...

I'm sure the following has been covered in other threads, especially in the FJ60 forum, but since this thread has been revived here are the differences between the bottom ends of the 2F and 3FE that I'm aware of:

2F: forged crankshaft, longer rods, no wrist pin bushings, beefier block in various spots, block is 2.125" taller

3F: cast crankshaft, shorter rods, has wrist pin bushings, less beefy block, shorter block

And it STILL can not pull the skin off of a custard........:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom