Simpson Wet Abrasive Sandblaster kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TuffMudder

Still working on my FJ55!
Threads
I thought I'd post my experiences with the simpson wet abrasive sandblaster kit linked below in case anyone was considering adding it to their toolbox. This is a attachment on the end of your pressure washer wand that adds a siphon that goes to a media bucket. The water flow creates a vacuum suctioning up the media and mixing it in water at the head to give you a wet abrasive blaster. The advantages are you don't have to worry nearly as much about heat build up and the media is washed straight to the ground with essentially no dust allowing you to sand blast easily in your yard or driveway without a booth.

You can buy this several places on line including home depot, lowes and amazon. I did however notice some of the places (including amazon) sell it without the required adapter nozzle. They do this because the nozzle you use, depends on the flow rate of your pressure washer. If you get the one at home depot, it comes with 3 nozzle sizes to fit to most flow rates.

Simpson Wet Abrasive Sandblaster Kit for Gas Pressure Washers-SAN0002 - The Home Depot

What actually prompted me to post this, is that the specs on this attachment say it requires a minimum flow rate of 3gpm and my pressure washer has a flow rate of 2.4gpm, and bought it without knowing if it would work at all. My intention was to give it a try and return it to the local home depot if it didn't suit my needs. From the video below you can see, it actually does quite respectably with my underpowered washer. I tried the medium (040) and smallest (035) nozzles and found the smaller nozzle to be noticeably better.

When I first tried to attach the new head, the male quick attach on the blaster head, had too long of a collar to mate with the female end on my wand. A quick trip to home depot with the part in hand allowed me to buy a replacement male end that would attach to my pressure washer for $10.

9496DACA-0D68-479E-A906-F982EE05D9CB.jpg

Other than that, assembly was a breeze and took only a few minutes.

Once the head is on, its a simple matter of placing the end of the siphon hose in a bucket of media (I've used ground glass and coal slag without trouble), firing up the pressure washer and blasting away. I suck at "reviewing" items, so instead, I made a short video showing how the blaster works. The video shows the effects of fine grade (approx. 40/80) coal slag on a steel bumper that sat outside for several years and developed enough rust to pit the metal.

One final note. I found media prices to vary WIDELY. The best I've found so far have been:

50 pound coal slag, fine grad at Tractor supply company for $7.99
50 pound large grade soda media at Harbor freight for $39.99
50 pound ground glass at Northern tool for $9.99

Last edited:
That's cool. I have a washer and always struggled with blasting via an underpowered air compressor. Looks like something to check out. Thanks for the post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom